Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:34 PM

advocado = enviromental disaster

Something else we should not eat.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-avocado-toast
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 10:25 PM

Re: advocado = enviromental disaster

I can easily live without Avocados , they taste like nothing much at all to me .
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 10:33 PM

I've never even tasted one.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 10:56 PM

We eat them all the time they are lovely in salads.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 11:03 PM

I don't know what it is, I've just never fancied trying them. I've got the impression they are slightly greasy?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 06:11 AM

You could always buy them from Australia, No exploited farmers here

http://avocado.org.au/

The excellent quality and year-round supply of Australian avocados means they are highly sought after in international markets.

Avocado production in Australia is widespread with orchards found from the north-east to the south-west of the country. The major production regions are the Atherton Tablelands, around Bundaberg, and south-west Western Australia.

In 2012-13 the Australian avocado industry produced 54,877 tonnes of avocados. The main varieties produced are Hass, Shepard, Reed, Sharwil and Wurtz with Hass about 80% of production and Shepard about 10%.

Hass is more oval than other varieties and has a distinctive pebbly skin which turns a rich purple when ripe. Hass avocados are available almost all year round from different regions of Australia with the main period of export supply from April to November.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 07:15 AM

Excellent idea Bruce, providing you sell them at the same price as our current suppliers and promise not to pack them with one of your many poisonous spiders!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We eat them all the time they are lovely in salads.
So do we....I am growing one in my kitchen, after planting the large seed a few weeks ago.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2016, 07:30 AM

Avocados don't actually taste of much and are quite expensive in the supermarkets (better to buy from the market stall maybe). This hasn't stopped me buying a couple a week though. I'm not sure what I like about avocados but have them as something to snack on in the evening.

On the other hand, I didn't know that growing them had such an ecological impact. That's a bit of an off-putter. It seems that demand for certain foods by so many people often leads to trees being felled somewhere. I suppose we'd have to stop eating many types of food if the production methods involved were thought about too much. Avocados now added to the list.

I'll look for Australian avocados Bruce. I'd feel better about buying those.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So do we....I am growing one in my kitchen, after planting the large seed a few weeks ago.
You'll probably be disappointed, they are grown from cuttings not seeds, the seeds are totally unpredictable the tree might be infertile ie produce no fruit or produce inedible fruit.

The trees look OK but the chances of it producing fruit like the one it came from are negligible. Sorry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top