Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 07:06 AM

Fodmaps

Anyone tried this?
Is there anything one can actually eat ?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Re: Fodmaps

Apparently not, according to Rick Stein's weekend in Copenhagen. I've never seen such ridiculous trendy chefs using tweezers to place seeds, flowers and assorted foliage onto tiny crackers. Cowslip juice? Hay powder? Yes, the dust that falls off lumps of hay. Their results looked more like lab experiments, and Rick Stein was struggling to be positive until he found somewhere with a piece of fish.

Seems some people will pay a fortune for anything collected from beaches, woods, barns and meadows. Talk about the Emperor's New Clothes ...........
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
.... Talk about the Emperor's New Clothes ...........
Dead right !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 08:12 AM

Somehow think we are not talking about the same thing.

FODMAPs is an acronym (abbreviation) referring to Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. These are complex names for a collection of molecules found in food, that can be poorly absorbed by some people.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 09:43 AM

It does explain why some of those things upset so many people. I think it's well known the artificial sweeteners cause diarrhoea if used in even quite small quantities.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:36 AM

Would you look at this list of stuff people with IBS are not supposed to eat !!

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Makes me eternally grateful that I do not have allergies and can eat anything!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It does explain why some of those things upset so many people. I think it's well known the artificial sweeteners cause diarrhoea if used in even quite small quantities.
I didn't know Julie !....there are many different sweetners on the market pray tell which ones cause diarrhoea, I use them in all my drinks and lots of my cooking !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Well you must be lucky then if you look on packs of sweeteners and artificially sweetened sweets you will see the recommended amount is quite small and they warn may cause tummy upsets. I think it's three no sugar polos a day, my favourite sugar free strawberry and cream sweets are only three a day too. Exceed those amounts at your own peril I say having done so a couple of times
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I didn't know Julie !....there are many different sweetners on the market pray tell which ones cause diarrhoea, I use them in all my drinks and lots of my cooking !
Sorbitol is one to avoid, Malcolm. It is frequently used in sweets/foods for those with diabetes.

Aspartame is another one.

If you are using them with no ill effects you are very lucky.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sorbitol is one to avoid, Malcolm. It is frequently used in sweets/foods for those with diabetes.

Aspartame is another one.

If you are using them with no ill effects you are very lucky.
I use 'em all ... all the time !
4 mugs of coffee and two cups of tea every day with two tabs of sweetener in each I also take nine different types of medication every day, each one of them carries a warning of stomach upsets and diarrhoea
I think some folks are always looking for trouble in whatever food stuff they eat .... and usually are never disappointed !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top