Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Pensioners are better off

A report out says Pensioners are £20 better off a week than workers ,
Do you agree , ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38948369
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Re: Pensioners are better off

Reading the link quickly they are quoting working pensioners giving a false impression of what pensioners actually get. Or did I read it incorrectly?
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Wish I was £20 a week better off.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Reading the link quickly they are quoting working pensioners giving a false impression of what pensioners actually get. Or did I read it incorrectly?
I read nothing about false impressions ,
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 10:59 AM

It seems ironic that as pensioners were forced to carry on working past retirement because their savings were making nothing in interest and their promised pension annuities turned out to be nothing like they were led to believe, that "the powers that be" then complain that pensioners are better off! Ludicrous....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
A report out says Pensioners are £20 better off a week than workers ,
Do you agree , ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38948369
Perhaps the BBC should tell that to the many old people who must choose between eating and heating.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 11:45 AM

First I will say, "I am comfortable".
When in 1962 I was offered private pensions, the rewards looked impressive, I could easily live on that I thought at that time.
But later I realised that what you put in every month, that is what you get out at the end.
Not so clever I thought. So as soon as it was possible to collect it, I did.
I took the biggest lump sum I could, and now receive a small monthly amount.
But during my working time I made my own investments, with much better results than the private pension gives me.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 12:10 PM

It's not just about income ls it, if you own your home mortgage free, and at pensionable age live an expensive bad habit free life, you be a grand or more wealthier than a working person regardless of income.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 12:16 PM

As usual they've been rather selective in picking their statistics, as not all pensioners are in this category.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 12:43 PM

I think people with decent work related pensions, like my husband has, might be better off. We are comfortable as long as we don't go too crazy with the money. But then we have spent our money wisely throughout our married life, and ensured we saved more than we spent. We never went to the pub, apart from an occasional meal, we have never darkened the doors of a nightclub, ever. Our money was spent on necessities and ensuring our children did well academically. I get irritated when some idiots, who have wasted their money on drink, cigarettes and drugs, moan they aren't well off, TOUGH!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top