Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 05:24 PM

Re: Pensioners are better off

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
A report out says Pensioners are £20 better off a week than workers ,
Do you agree , ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38948369

I bet that weren't written by a Pensioner though!
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2017, 11:25 PM

Any mention of pensions here sees me turning into something out of the Exorcist.

I was born in January '54 so just missed having it at sixty by a couple of months.

Two years and three months to go. So no I don't agree I'm better off.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Superficially, I'm not too badly off, but, like many pensioners our situation is finely balanced and it would take very little to fall off the edge into poverty. We have no savings, but I get a good pension (final salary scheme Thank Goodness!) plus the state pension. My wife gets benefits as she is severely disabled by osteoarthritis, heart problems,spinal problems and several other health issues. Despite being given "indefinite" DLA by the DWP, she has now been told that she must apply for PIP and this has caused her a great deal of anxiety - given the stories about corruption and incompetent/lying unqualified assessors within ATOS and Capita and the 10,000 + people who have died within a few weeks of being declared "fit for work" over the past few years.
We don't own our own home, so to some extent we are at the mercy of the local authority housing department - a department which we would trust as far as we could throw it.
At present, apart from my wife's DLA, we manage to thrive without claiming any other benefits - Housing benefit, council tax benefit etc.
So, as I said, we are currently fairly comfortable, but like many pensioners, we feel we are balanced on a cliff edge.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course. They are the left wing BBC!
Which gets most of it's statistics straight from the Tory government.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
At present, apart from my wife's DLA, we manage to thrive without claiming any other benefits - Housing benefit, council tax benefit etc.
So, as I said, we are currently fairly comfortable, but like many pensioners, we feel we are balanced on a cliff edge.
As you said the condition of your wife, you should be getting council tax relief, and other bits. But I suppose it would depend on where you live and the council.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
As you said the condition of your wife, you should be getting council tax relief, and other bits. But I suppose it would depend on where you live and the council.
We can afford not to claim these benefits, so we don't - not least because, having worked in local government for 40 years and seen how they work, I don't want them to have any hold over us whatever. (Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not out to get you!)
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Which gets most of it's statistics straight from the Tory government.
Then twists them

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top