Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 06:17 PM

Re: Workhouses

A building within St James' Hospital in Leeds ('Jimmy's' of TV fame) was originally a workhouse.

It is now the Thackray Medical Museum, illustrating the history of medicine and social hardships in the early days. Well worth a visit.

http://www.thackraymedicalmuseum.co.uk/
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 06:26 PM

An interesting list of a Newcastle workhouse in the 1881 census, shows the diversity of inmates and staff.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Newcast...Tyne1881.shtml
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
An interesting list of a Newcastle workhouse in the 1881 census, shows the diversity of inmates and staff.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Newcast...Tyne1881.shtml
Nom; at Newcastle.

Builders Labourer aged 80 yrs.
Brick maker aged 86yrs
Gardener aged 8 yrs and scholar. so he didn't get much time for himself to play marbles ! (or ollies as it was called)
Shoemaker aged 11yrs

My goodness !

Here's an internal map of Brownlow Hill, Liverpool. In part of what I read at one point although it was the largest with capacity for 3000, it did in fact accommodate as many as 5000 on occasions. !! Link: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Liverpool/

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 08:51 PM

There's another one on your list Nom.

Robert Hall aged 66 yrs Blacksmith Imbecile.

By todays standards, he had a desired craft , and yet listed as an imbecile !

How times change.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

17-02-2017, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
A building within St James' Hospital in Leeds ('Jimmy's' of TV fame) was originally a workhouse.

It is now the Thackray Medical Museum, illustrating the history of medicine and social hardships in the early days. Well worth a visit.

http://www.thackraymedicalmuseum.co.uk/
They certainly were impressive buildings. Built to last.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
This reminded me of interesting changes in what is socially acceptable these days.

Today, we find derisive and offensive such words as imbecile, idiot, spastic and Mongolian idiot, yet in those days (days of the workhouse) these and other similar words were accepted names for medical conditions.

I wonder whether present day terms, such as epileptic, paraplegic and deranged will become similarly unacceptable in the future.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 09:20 PM

There's another one on your list Nom.

By todays standards, he had a desired craft , and yet listed as an imbecile !

How times change.
No they don't, know-alls still regard anyone who disagrees with them as imbeciles.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-02-2017, 09:21 PM

They certainly were impressive buildings. Built to last.
Yes, and more visually attractive (at least in my opinion) than many of the modern 'cardboard boxes'!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

17-02-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
No they don't, know-alls still regard anyone who disagrees with them as imbeciles.
Lots of other things too.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

17-02-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This reminded me of interesting changes in what is socially acceptable these days.

Today, we find derisive and offensive such words as imbecile, idiot, spastic and Mongolian idiot, yet in those days (days of the workhouse) these and other similar words were accepted names for medical conditions.

I wonder whether present day terms, such as epileptic, paraplegic and deranged will become similarly unacceptable in the future.
Well, I actually hope not in one way. The term of treating people with disabilities of various kinds as 'special' is quite nice, but to completely amalgamate all those who are 'tagged' do also need to be recognised, as every disability is different and needs different attention.

I bet TB was rife in those places.

They also lost their vote ,once they entered the workhouse. Can't see the reason for that unless they were classed as of no use to society. It really was the end for many.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top