Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 09:16 AM

Do our Doctors lack knowledge or finance?

Over the last year I have been awoken by pain in my back, between 4 and 6 am, so much so that I have to get up as I stops me getting back to sleep.
My mattress is supportive and I stopped taking my statins, which helped a little, but the pain is still there! My doctor sent me for X rays on the lower spine and blood tests to check my bones... but all they could find is some minor inflammation in my lower spine.
I can't take anti inflammatory pills at 4am, because you have to take them on a full stomach, but nobody seems to know what is causing the inflammation. This means that every morning I wake early, in a lot of pain, but in 2-3 hours of getting up and moving about is disappears.
The only pain killers that help are Ibuprofen, and I sometimes have to take them with my breakfast, but often it goes away on it's own. If they could tell me the cause of the inflammation, it may be something that I could ease with some changes to what I do, but it seems that nobody can tell me and I wonder if this is because they don't know, or they are not permitted to spend money on something that isn't life threatening. What do you think?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Re: Do our Doctors lack knowledge or finance?

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Over the last year I have been awoken by pain in my back, between 4 and 6 am, so much so that I have to get up as I stops me getting back to sleep.
My mattress is supportive and I stopped taking my statins, which helped a little, but the pain is still there! My doctor sent me for X rays on the lower spine and blood tests to check my bones... but all they could find is some minor inflammation in my lower spine.
I can't take anti inflammatory pills at 4am, because you have to take them on a full stomach, but nobody seems to know what is causing the inflammation. This means that every morning I wake early, in a lot of pain, but in 2-3 hours of getting up and moving about is disappears.
The only pain killers that help are Ibuprofen, and I sometimes have to take them with my breakfast, but often it goes away on it's own. If they could tell me the cause of the inflammation, it may be something that I could ease with some changes to what I do, but it seems that nobody can tell me and I wonder if this is because they don't know, or they are not permitted to spend money on something that isn't life threatening. What do you think?
Hi Twink

That's interesting as I have also suffered back pain in the early hours for many years now on and off. I don't know what causes it either and have never been to the doctors about it. For me, it's not a major pain but it keeps me awake and I have to get up to move around.

I have found two things that can help:

Don't ignore the fact that you need to urinate. Get up and go straight away.

Try pulling your shoulders back and holding that position for as long as possible when the pain first comes on.

Obviously I'm not saying your problem is the same as mine but it's worth a try.

Just out of interest, is it worse in the summer?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 09:44 AM

I think they prioritise worse cases these days, lack of money means we'll be putting up with more aches and pains as time goes on.

Just a thought have you tried a pillow either under your knees if you sleep on your back or between knees if on your side. It's amazing how many aches and pains that can cure.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Twink

That's interesting as I have also suffered back pain in the early hours for many years now on and off. I don't know what causes it either and have never been to the doctors about it. For me, it's not a major pain but it keeps me awake and I have to get up to move around.

I have found two things that can help:

Don't ignore the fact that you need to urinate. Get up and go straight away.

Try pulling your shoulders back and holding that position for as long as possible when the pain first comes on.

Obviously I'm not saying your problem is the same as mine but it's worth a try.

Just out of interest, is it worse in the summer?
I have not noticed it being worse in the summer, in facxt i think it is a bit worse in the winter... so I always put it down to some kind of arthritis...... but if it was surely it wouldn't go away on it's own when I get up?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

18-02-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think they prioritise worse cases these days, lack of money means we'll be putting up with more aches and pains as time goes on.

Just a thought have you tried a pillow either under your knees if you sleep on your back or between knees if on your side. It's amazing how many aches and pains that can cure.
Thanks Julie, I will try the pillow between my knees to see if that helps.
I always think the earlier a problem is diagnosed the easier it is to get rid of..... Shame the NHS don't work on the same theory!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:30 AM

I always think the earlier a problem is diagnosed the easier it is to get rid of..... Shame the NHS don't work on the same theory!

Yes arthritis in the lower spine. I have it too. NNot much the medical profession can do to 'cure' that, apart from replacing the spine with metal implants, but that would seriously affect your ability to move, since you would be incapable of bending or stooping. Unfortunately, it is probably the case that it is one of those pains you just have to live with and adjust your life-style to cope with such pain.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your discomfort in the early hours Twink.
It sounds to me like when you lay flat you are putting a small strain on your lower back/hips, which gradually gets worse as the night progresses until the pain becomes unbearable and it finally wakes you up. Julie's idea of using a pillow is a good one and is worth trying to see if it brings relief. Try and change your normal sleeping position, tuck your knees up towards your chest [the fetal position] this helps to takes away the strain to your lower back muscles.

Finally, could it be that your mattress is too supportive and does not allow your body to attain a more natural position. Next time it wakes you up Twink try laying on your back and pull your knees up to your chest to see if it relieves the pain. If all else fails, perhaps a massage might help.....

PS:- The inflammation seen on the x-ray is probably the cause, although only slight on the x-ray, it probably becomes so much worse in the early hours but disappears once you have risen and removed the strain. Yes Twink, Ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation and take away the pain but you are only treating the symptoms. Good luck.....
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Have you thought of a mattress topper Twink ? I invested in one from IKEA being a fellow back sufferer. You still have the support of your mattress but it cushions your back a bit. I have the best nights sleep now.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Interesting-my mother endured two years of tear making agony before a new Dr stopped saying `well we are all getting older` and sorted out her pain relief.

Another couple of friends have fibro-only in the last couple of years have some doctors accepted it`s real. Money or ignorance???
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 11:44 AM

It is true what Julie says about the pillow, it really does help Twinks. When I slept on my side, I found a pillow too big and bulky between my knees though, but in Dunelm they have little cushions about 9 or 10" square, and I find that perfect.

My chiropractor if you are on your back, placing one under the bend of your knees flattens out your spine more.
Have you ever visited a good chiropractor for your problem, they deal with things a doctor can't - and without any nasty drugs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top