Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 10:20 PM

Travellers

Impound vehicles to pay for clearing up, why is it others have to put up with deliberate flouting of law.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...de-school.html
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 11:28 PM

Re: Travellers

I agree with you Cinderella. I loathe them.

Years ago, in the village where I lived, there was an official travellers site about a mile down the road.
They were a constant menace in the village. Everything had to be nailed down.
Once I remember a tree surgeon working in a posh house's back garden. He left his chipper out the front of the house. When he brought out the next lot of branches to put through the chipper - it had vanished.
They threatened me and my Dad once. They all stood round us with stones and rocks in their hands ready to aim at us, I was scared stiff, and frightened they were going to hurt my Dad as well. They said they would find out where we lived.
They could often be seen at night creeping about with their dogs and lamping in the field behind me.
Loathsome people, and a law unto themselves. Even the local cops daren't enter their site.

I've had them come round here, where I live now too.
Always trying the same cons like offering to tarmac my driveways/moss on my roof/any tree work/any old iron etc.
I am very nervous of them and wish they sod off and leave other people alone.

And don't even start me on how they treat their animals!

One strange thing though. A friend of mine used to have to go down their site to teach their children. I remember her telling me they were surprising moral. For example, the little gipsy girls weren't allowed to play in the caravans with boys unless an adult was there. There were more surprising things, but I can't remember them all now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 03:43 AM

Moral with an exemption for thieving ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 05:06 AM

We have the same problem with grey nomads littering the bush with their bloody caravans.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 07:56 AM

It's when they litter the bush with their litter you have to worry and presumably the police can visit without talking a posse in riot gear along?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 08:19 AM

Hi

We have some old fashioned gypsies, The Prices and the Jones, they are fine, travel around, park up the same places, do some farm work, lovely caravans, never leave a mess.

Unfortunately we have others who arrive from time, a family of Irish, the Sheridans, awful people, the Police have to go mob handed, the kids are terrible in the local shops. and a right mess when they leave.

We lock everything up when they are around.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have some old fashioned gypsies, The Prices and the Jones, they are fine, travel around, park up the same places, do some farm work, lovely caravans, never leave a mess.

Unfortunately we have others who arrive from time, a family of Irish, the Sheridans, awful people, the Police have to go mob handed, the kids are terrible in the local shops. and a right mess when they leave.

We lock everything up when they are around.
Years ago I do mean many years the gypsies would turn up. They were mostly harmless. I`m older now and see thieves and vagabonds-can one use the term `Pikey?, Clean your gutter mate? Take out them trees mate? Got a lurcher dog?-wan`t to sell him??
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 08:54 AM

I'm always rather sympathetic to them, the mess is a problem but if they can rarely get to rubbish dumps as they are driving vehicles they won't let in, and they don't get a rubbish collection by the council, I've also seen them moved on in a hurry, keeping their convoy moving to avoid the big men sent to sort them out is priority over clearing up. Also I've seen local residents after they've left adding to the mess I think their theory is it's a mess someone else can clear it up so if doesn't matter if they put more there.

People speak badly about them but when we were homeless a group of travelers were only real help we were offered I often wonder if we would have survived that winter without them.

Do I want them camped in my road ? No but that doesn't mean I have to be nasty about them if they buy a bit of land and settle down like they have up near brook wood, they are being no trouble to anyone but are meeting complaints and nastiness from people on all sides.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 08:54 AM

It was unusual round our way, when the Gypsies came to our Estate, property values went UP.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm always rather sympathetic to them, the mess is a problem but if they can rarely get to rubbish dumps as they are driving vehicles they won't let in, and they don't get a rubbish collection by the council,
They don't get a collection because they don't pay council tax .
They can drive to the dump the same as any other person and the same as any other person you have to PAY for collection of certain large items even if you do pay tax .
The dump lets in most vehicles but if you have driving a commercial one you have to PAY .
Ie give money the same as any regular person does.

I've also seen them moved on in a hurry, keeping their convoy moving to avoid the big men sent to sort them out is priority over clearing up. Also I've seen local residents after they've left adding to the mess I think their theory is it's a mess someone else can clear it up so if doesn't matter if they put more there.
I have never seen this the boot is usually on the other foot .
The police have to deal with them on masse .
Big men to sort them out?????

Do I want them camped in my road ? No but that doesn't mean I have to be nasty about them if they buy a bit of land and settle down like they have up near brook wood, they are being no trouble to anyone but are meeting complaints and nastiness from people on all sides.
Because they are doing harm other people just can't go and set up home in a wood without all sorts of hassle .
Other people have to run the gauntlet of planning permission and a hundred other rules why should these people be exempt ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top