Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 12:57 PM

EU Immigration.

Hi

I have some concerns about the new systems being talked about.

Babcha Zosia is Polish, both her kids have been here for years, both with good jobs.

She has three Grandkids here, one is a toddler.

She has a lovely house in Poland and her own money.

She spends a lot of time here in the UK, looking after the grandkids in the school holidays and last year spent 5 months here after Oscar was born so Mum could go back to work.

She does not cost the UK a penny, lives with her kids and completely funds herself.

I hope we can find a way of allowing this sort of thing to continue.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Re: EU Immigration.

Me too, this seems to be one of the things that are very vague at the moment.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Gibbs I don't see why any new arrangement should affect Babcha who is clearly visiting a family already established here as people have done for generations.
I have a soft spot for the Poles because of their many courageous countrymen who fought side by side with us in the war.

We need hard working immigrants to fuel our economy, I have no problem with them at all providing they support themselves and don't just land on our doorstep unskilled and jobless and expect to be provided for in our overburdened system .

I would like to see a points system introduced here to encourage skilled labour similar to the system they have in Australia. Relatives of UK immigrants can get a visa to visit there for a set period of time. I don't see why we can't operate a similar system here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 03:53 PM

Have we actually ever stopped anyone coming for simple holidays ? Prior to Eu membership plenty of Spanish families visited, they were only people from Europe I really knew at the time but I assumed rules were same for everyone.

We didn't seem to have any really harsh rules in place other than don't work and go home if asked or at end of your visa.

It seemed to me to work ok for the Spanish so why would it be different for the polish ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Me too, this seems to be one of the things that are very vague at the moment.
It can't be anything but vague at the moment until negations are completed Tessa .
We can't say catagorically we will do 'such and such a thing' when it may prove to be part of our negotiating tools.

There seems to be a great lack of common sense among the population at the moment and too many people with axes to grind spouting rhetoric and others listening to them.

Let's look at a few things using logic, whatever has been said by any side it is not in anyone's interests to do anything that is not mutually advantageous.
We need some foreign nationals to work here, likewise so do the EU need British people so it is to our mutual benefit to negotiate an amicable solution and I don't think when it comes down to it anyone will be cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 04:26 PM

Actually we could make these decisions now, lead the way, the Eu will look pretty bad if they then treat our people badly. Make staying easy I say, then hopefully it will pave the way for our people to stay where they are.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Have we actually ever stopped anyone coming for simple holidays ? Prior to Eu membership plenty of Spanish families visited, they were only people from Europe I really knew at the time but I assumed rules were same for everyone.

We didn't seem to have any really harsh rules in place other than don't work and go home if asked or at end of your visa.

It seemed to me to work ok for the Spanish so why would it be different for the polish ?
Hi

In those days Julie, nobody bothered much about Immigration.

We don't know what the new rules will be, that is the problem.

As far as a points system is concerned, that to me, is entirely wrong in the long term.

Fine until we train our own youngsters up to fill the higher paid professional and technical jobs, but we should not be relying on immigrants filling those higher paid jobs and condemning our youngsters to do the lower paid jobs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-02-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

In those days Julie, nobody bothered much about Immigration.

We don't know what the new rules will be, that is the problem.

As far as a points system is concerned, that to me, is entirely wrong in the long term.

Fine until we train our own youngsters up to fill the higher paid professional and technical jobs, but we should not be relying on immigrants filling those higher paid jobs and condemning our youngsters to do the lower paid jobs.
I see what you say but IMO we could simply say these people can stay just have a new system for people wanting to come in the future. IMO we aren't saturated with immigrants or not round here anyway, we could keep those who made a home here already quite easily. What we do next may be different but it would be cruel to separate families.

I've we take a lead and say that officially it will be hard for eu to do any different.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 07:02 PM

That's the trouble, Theresa May is reluctant to say that they can stay in case the EU get tough with our expats. It's a waiting game and creating a lot of uncertainty.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
That's the trouble, Theresa May is reluctant to say that they can stay in case the EU get tough with our expats. It's a waiting game and creating a lot of uncertainty.
Whether or not ex-pats, of either Britain or the EU, can remain where they are after Brexit should be subject to our 'negotiations'.

We should definitely not be giving away concessions until we know what the EU are going to do. Discussion is a two-way thing, although I can understand why the Brussels bureaucrats think they can dictate to us before any negotiations. After all, we are regarded the world over as being soft.

And sod the House of Lords. They will not stop Brexit. They might delay it, of course, but in so doing they are showing their true allegiances, and those are obviously not to the people of this country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top