Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
wabblewalk
surrey borders
wabblewalk is male  wabblewalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Re: Tebbitt the hypocrite!!!

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
The interesting bit is Mrs May offered to negotiate an arrangement about the status of both the British in the EU and EU residents in Britain some time ago with the EU. She was rebuffed by France and Germany. Why should we now want give away our strategy. The trouble.with the Lords is their are too many people who were elevated beyond their abilities.
So bloody true.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 07:32 PM

The interesting bit is Mrs May offered to negotiate an arrangement about the status of both the British in the EU and EU residents in Britain some time ago with the EU. She was rebuffed by France and Germany. Why should we now want give away our strategy. The trouble.with the Lords is their are too many people who were elevated beyond their abilities.
I completely agree. Many, perhaps most, of them are there because they were mates of a PM or because they paid handsomely for their peerage.

It is quite clear that they are not there because of their political abilities or, more importantly, their loyalty to their country.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Hi

The uncertainty is now starting to hurt.

We are actually losing EU Nurses already here and less are arriving.

The matter needs resolving, however it is not the UK who are causing the problem, it is the EU insisting that no talks take place until Article 50 commences and even then, there will be no piecemeal negotiations, they want it all as one package.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 07:54 PM

I have heard on the the grapevine that there is a petion to abolish the HOL.
Can"t find it though, which is a shame as I would gladly sign it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The uncertainty is now starting to hurt.

We are actually losing EU Nurses already here and less are arriving.

The matter needs resolving, however it is not the UK who are causing the problem, it is the EU insisting that no talks take place until Article 50 commences and even then, there will be no piecemeal negotiations, they want it all as one package.
As some public figure said the other day, giving some assurance to our eu citizens now would give us the moral upper hand in negotiations. It is also in our interest as otherwise the more able will go elsewhere and we will end up with a skills and. Labour gap shortage unnecessarily. Making this gesture would set a more civilised tone and it would put the onus on the other side to reciprocate. It would delight a number of voting member states and sway yhem to vote in our favour on other terms. So win-win.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 08:23 PM

The dreaded Peter Principle.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 08:23 PM

It's all very well taking the high moral ground if you're quite happy to be taken advantage of. The future of this country is far to important to be gifted to those who would quite happily take advantage. When it comes to bargaining with the EU there is no such thing as moral high ground.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I have heard on the the grapevine that there is a petion to abolish the HOL.
Can"t find it though, which is a shame as I would gladly sign it.
There certainly is. I know because I signed it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't remember the address, so I googled it only to find that there are several(!), most of which came back as 'rejected'. Perhaps the tentacles of the 'Establishment' are more extensive than I imagined.

However, I did find this one, which is current:

https://www.changebritain.org/petition/lords/

and this:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/170686
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 09:07 PM

It's all very well taking the high moral ground if you're quite happy to be taken advantage of. The future of this country is far to important to be gifted to those who would quite happily take advantage. When it comes to bargaining with the EU there is no such thing as moral high ground.
I don't really understand what you meant by being taken advantage of, but a negotiation is a psychological process.

Starting with a generous and transparent standpoint, which is in the interest of a number of important stakeholders and is also in our interest makes sense.

It removes barriers and disarms the opposition. Playing manipulative games with the lives of people who have contributed a great deal to our economy will alienate them, alienate their home nations (whose alliance we need during voting) and shoot ourselves in the foot in the long run.

Theresa May is playing a very dangerous game if she thinks this is a card in her pack. She may look down and find that card no longer exists or is replaced with a dud.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't really understand what you meant by being taken advantage of, but a negotiation is a psychological process.

Starting with a generous and transparent standpoint, which is in the interest of a number of important stakeholders and is also in our interest makes sense.

It removes barriers and disarms the opposition.
I'd possibly agree with this if we were dealing with honest and unbiased people.

Unfortunately, all I have heard from the EU mandarins with regard to Brexit are warnings and threats.

Do you honestly believe that handing them a concession - that immigrants from the EU may remain here indefinitely - will result in them offering the same for British ex-pats?

They have already said that they will not talk about individual issues, but will accept only a single unified package. What's more, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that 'package' included a non-negotiable provision of free movement.

With an attitude like that, it makes me wonder whether we should just tell them our terms and offer them the choice of taking them or leaving them.

We should give them a time limit in which to make up their minds, say six months. After that, we leave and trade (if they want to) under WTO rules.

Whatever happens, I hope that TM applies Article 50 when she said she would.

What I expect to happen is a lot of arguing for the next two years, with the EU becoming increasingly more willing to submit to our demands as time passes on the basis that they will become increasingly more worried!

I believe that we still hold all the cards.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top