Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 12:21 AM

Re: Tebbitt the hypocrite!!!

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
This is getting silly. I though we were talking of legitimate immigration not an uncontrolled flow of illegal immigrants. Even so Hungary are governed by the same rules as the rest of the EU. That they choose to ignore them is up to them but I can imagine how Europe would react if the UK tried it.
It was just an example that everyone knows about, but most countries in Europe make their own rules as to how to interpret EU dictates. Germany & France can complain but what can they do? France is one of the worst offenders.

I don't think we are such rule followers, I think this was a deliberate government policy, particularly during the Blair years.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It was just an example that everyone knows about, but most countries in Europe make their own rules as to how to interpret EU dictates. Germany & France can complain but what can they do? France is one of the worst offenders.

I don't think we are such rule followers, I think this was a deliberate government policy, particularly during the Blair years.
All this really is irrelevant since the offer to sort out some sort of reciprocal was refused by the two founder members who, despite what you may think control most things in the EU. The rest are merely yes men.

If you were to ask most people who voted leave what their main reason for leaving was, it wouldn't be immigration. It would be to the wish to regain our sovereignty and control of our laws. Certainly it would be mine. Immigration is a problem
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
If you were to ask most people who voted leave what their main reason for leaving was, it wouldn't be immigration. It would be to the wish to regain our sovereignty and control of our laws. Certainly it would be mine. Immigration is a problem
Of the people I know who did so, almost all said they voted leave because of immigration. The facebook threads of one very pro-leave friend were 99% about it with a small bit about the finances and getting our blue passports back. The threads involved a large group of similarly-minded people. They also put a lot of energy into anti-Islamic discussions which somehow ended up mixed into the debate. I do know a couple of people who voted leave for religious reasons (the EU is pro-secular/pro-new world order) & one who just fancied a change. I don't know anyone who voted leave because of EU politics or bent bananas.

I'm sure there were many who voted for other reasons but IMO & based on those I know, the immigration issue definitely swayed the result.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 11:56 AM

I'm sure you're right. We obviously move in different circles. I don't use Facebook or any of the Social Media.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Of the people I know who did so, almost all said they voted leave because of immigration. The facebook threads of one very pro-leave friend were 99% about it with a small bit about the finances and getting our blue passports back. The threads involved a large group of similarly-minded people. They also put a lot of energy into anti-Islamic discussions which somehow ended up mixed into the debate. I do know a couple of people who voted leave for religious reasons (the EU is pro-secular/pro-new world order) & one who just fancied a change. I don't know anyone who voted leave because of EU politics or bent bananas.

I'm sure there were many who voted for other reasons but IMO & based on those I know, the immigration issue definitely swayed the result.
Many of us have wanted a chance to leave since we joined, we have many and varied reasons that have come up over the years, uncontrolled immigration has only really been an issue for a few years, the nulabour years, prior to that it was never an issue.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top