Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 10:13 AM

First Step to an EU Army.

Well, it looks as though Jean-Claude Juncker’s quest for a Military Union for the EU marches on. Just been reading the following in the paper this morning from Mario Ledworth, our Brussels correspondent for the Daily Mail.

Quote.

The first steps towards establishing an EU army were taken yesterday in a move that critics fear could undermine NATO.
The announcement of a military power controlled by Brussels came just days after European President, Jean-Claude Juncker laid out his wishes for a military union.

The new body, based in Brussels will coordinate EU military training missions - including existing operations in Mali and Somalia - that do not involve the use of force.
But the plan stopped short of calling the new unit a headquarters, which defence secretary, Sir Michael Fallon claimed as a victory after the UK objected to it’s creation.

The pressure to downplay the influence of the body, which will comprise a staff of 30, means it will also be led by a “director” rather than a commander.
Sir Michael yesterday said he resisted measures originally drawn up by Brussels chiefs and insisted the UK would stand in the way of future integration during Brexit negotiations.

Reinforcing the EU’s military capabilities in the aftermath of the UK’s departure is a key concern of countries such as Germany and France. But instead of pressing ahead with plans for a so-called EU army, Sir Michael called on member states to meet their spending commitments to Nato.

He warned that focusing on cooperation at a European level could undermine existing commitments to the historic military alliance with the US. The decision to stand in the way of EU plans will raise concerns about future military cooperation between the UK and Europe as Brexit looms.

Sir Michael insisted the the UK did not see future operations between EU countries after Brexit as a danger and said his main concern is to avoid duplication with Nato. While suggesting that Britain will continue to work with the EU after Brexit, he admitted that the Government will be unable to intervene if European countries join defence resources.
And EU officials insisted that measures could lead to more significant defence co-operation in the future which is a key goal for Mr Juncker. A paper unveiled by the Brussels chief last week, revealed his desire for money to be poured into the joint EU military operations in the future, as well as joint procurement.

Unquote

Onwards eh Claude! Thank god we are getting out of this madhouse with it’s power-hungry unelected leaders hell-bent on forming their united military force, to be paid for by all the countries, Thank goodness also that Sir Michael objected to the Military tags, Wouldn’t Juncker have just loved to present Britain with a large bill of billions to bankroll his military procurement whilst we are still a member and liable to share the cost!

To think that this nutter in Brussels expects all of the member EU countries being forced to bankroll his quest to fulfil his dream of a EU military force is crazy, but nevertheless dangerous, because these same countries (barring a couple) are not paying their way in supporting NATO with their contributions. Is it any wonder Donald has nothing but contempt at the way the few are supporting the many.and threatened the withdrawal of support as the protector of Europe!

Your view on the above please?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Re: First Step to an EU Army.

....this has been on the cards for some years and was one of the many reasons I voted to leave .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 11:42 AM

I really don't care whether or not the Fourth Reich creates an EU army. That's up to them.

I do think, though, that all of the countries who fail to pay 2% of their GDP toward their NATO forces should be expelled.

So we'd probably end up with Britain and Poland (with America and Canada, of course) against the rest of Europe.

Hang on. Didn't we have something like that 70 years ago?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 12:06 PM

Putin must be quaking in his boots.....!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Putin must be quaking in his boots.....!
It would be a good idea for us to keep Putin 'On Side' and not keep poking him with a stick...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It would be a good idea for us to keep Putin 'On Side' and not keep poking him with a stick...
You actually think he's "On Side"?

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 12:37 PM

The last European Army surrendered 8 May 1945 with the RUSSIANs rampaging around Berlin.
But isn't thi old news?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ission-miltary
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Personally I find an eu army quite worrying especially with Germany at the centre of the eu. I maybe wrong but I've always felt Germany has been trying to take over Europe by stealth by being in the eu and this hasn't worked so an army is next step.

I'm usually a glass half full person but this makes me feel like the glass has fallen over and all the liquid is about to pour out.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 01:11 PM

I would think that Poland has the same worries
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I would think that Poland has the same worries
Poland would do well to remain in NATO. Either that or make friends with Russia.

The EU is not to be trusted, and the fact that they're trying to create their own army just confirms things.

We're well out of it, and I suspect that when the penny drops other EU countries will follow our lead.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top