Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 12:08 AM

Re: First Step to an EU Army.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I lean more toward the Huxley/Bradbury visions of the present/future. At least I did until recent events. It's astounding how visionary they were, particularly Bradbury who pretty much describes the internet and social media in Farenheit 451.

We are more at risk from internet crime than from a real army. with the way the "internet of things" is spreading you only need someone to take control and you can wipe our entire cities within a short period of time.

Robots could be a good thing if we work out a minimum income society which would mean a move away from the current capitalist/shareholder wealth structure. It's the psychological effects on the purpose of life which would be destructive.

But as the siege Aleppo has shown, you do not lose the need for a ground army and as WWII demonstrated, Britain is not so geographically impenetrable as once it was.

I think this EU army is just a knee jerk reaction to Trump. Germany was not allowed to have an army after 2 world wars. It's only recently they seem to be moving away from that. Russia is a real threat, particularly as Europe squabbles and the US disintegrates into chaos. There are probably Russian professional internet watchers reading this wonderful thread!
The EU Army was mooted back in 2013 way before the Donald learned how to tweet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 12:20 AM

Re: First Step to an EU Army.

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
The EU Army was mooted back in 2013 way before the Donald learned how to tweet.
I guess so, but it suddenly becoming more than a notion might be a reaction to recent events. Although Obama was already distancing the US (and NATO) from World conflict beforehand. Russia is being seen as a credible threat recently. That's by us not just by Europe. If our forces are interested then that means we too are at risk.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top