Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 09:21 PM

Are English Heritage too fussy?

Just watching Grand designs some chap restoring a castle that was a complete ruin .
Although the man was a architect himself and was doing the build sympathetically English Heritage gave him such a hard time.

If someone buys a listed building they have to have English heritage approve it before they can do an building work on it.
Often this is refused even if it means the building will fall down and be lost forever.
Sure its better if buildings are within reason saved eve if it means without using medieval nails or the like.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Re: Are English Heritage too fussy?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Just watching Grand designs some chap restoring a castle that was a complete ruin .
Although the man was a architect himself and was doing the build sympathetically English Heritage gave him such a hard time.

If someone buys a listed building they have to have English heritage approve it before they can do an building work on it.
Often this is refused even if it means the building will fall down and be lost forever.
Sure its better if buildings are within reason saved eve if it means without using medieval nails or the like.
Totally agree,

We've watched these programmes many times and have sat there fuming.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 09:59 PM

The listed buildings mob are just as bad. Some years ago (20?) I was asked to wire a farmhouse out in the sticks. This farmhouse had been empty and had stood derelict for about 15 years before that. As soon as it was sold to a couple who had designs on doing it up to live in they were met with a list of can and can't dos regarding the structure even down to having horse-hair embedded plasterwork inside the home `in keeping with the original interiors`. No modern PVC windows either - had to be done in traditional wood.

I'm surprised they were allowed to get a connection to the water mains and sewage system rather than the septic tank and be allowed electric lighting instead of candle and oil lamps.

A pity that HE and the listed building committees haven't got anything better to do.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 10:00 PM

I agree Muddy.

Even if you add a twist of modern at least that building lasts a few more hundred years.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 10:57 PM

Anyone who buys a listed building is on a hiding to nothing. You need the patience of a saint and very deep pockets. Totally agree with you Muddy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 11:12 PM

The inclosure act was the beginning of the end.
WE177B
London
WE177B is male  WE177B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 05:41 PM

Try doing maintenance work or repairs on a cathedral. Planning consent from the local authority is the easy bit - they recognise they are dealing with experts and are quite happy to approve what's put in front of them. Then the trouble starts........

It's not just English Heritage who have a say. A window repair at the one nearest to me ended up having to have the consent of a total of 42 organisations. It took several years........ Getting them all to agree was a nightmare.

They ended up with 41 saying "Yes" and the 42nd saying "No, because...." and thereby invalidating the 41 consents. Sorting a design and technique acceptable to all took years and cost a fortune.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 06:15 PM

I totally agree. It baffles me sometimes when they would rather a building fall down than be restored. I agree there should be some guidance, otherwise we could end up with pink & yellow castles but they do seem to be too hard on people.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 11:29 PM

They are a shower of jobsworths.

The money for restoration can be very handsome but....the hassle ruins the enjoyment.....I did one and swore I'd never do another.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:11 AM

It's like those programmes on TV where Brits move to France and want to restore one of their crap houses - You know the sort, no water, no electric, flowery wall paper on all the ceilings etc. They then have to meet with the local Mayor and beg permission to transform a complete and utter dump into something habitable. I really couldn't be bothered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top