Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Re: Are English Heritage too fussy?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's like those programmes on TV where Brits move to France and want to restore one of their crap houses - You know the sort, no water, no electric, flowery wall paper on all the ceilings etc. They then have to meet with the local Mayor and beg permission to transform a complete and utter dump into something habitable. I really couldn't be bothered.
Yes, a couple we know have done just that. They seem to have achieved all the necessary paperwork now, though, and are planning to install a wood burner.

I'm not sure whether there will be more bureaucracy in order to achieve that, but we shall see.

The other thing that worries them, of course, is whether they'll be able to keep their 'holiday home' post-Brexit. I've told them that it is unlikely to be a problem. If the Frogs decide to kick them out, we'll kick theirs out (or at least I hope we will). The difference is that our friends are self-sufficient and take nothing from France, whereas many of our 'guests' do not.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 01:14 PM

My house is 200 years old, and when I bought it over 30 years ago a friend asked if I would apply to have it listed. I had no idea if I could, but it was going to be my home so I wanted to decide what it looked like, and told her I wouldn't bother.
I never see the point in trying to maintain buildings as they were, if you have to follow such rigid rules. I would rather see an historical house that has been slightly altered, than see a heap of bricks where it has collapsed.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Hi

The problem with English Heritage is the same as Wildlife Officers in Planning.

They are staffed with Zealots with absolutely no commonsense.

We should certainly protect our old buildings, but they have to be fit to survive, times have changed.

I had a very brief, but very unhappy time, involved with Planning, supposed to be covering sickness.

Shropshire has many ancient black and white houses.

The new Heritage Officer wanted them painted cream and brown, as that was what apparently they originally were painted.

The same officer wanted some derelict buildings rebuilt using bricks from Leicestershire, ignoring the fact that local bricks where available.

The daftest one was the Ecology Officer, she wanted a 12 month survey for Newts on a seriously heavily contaminated Brownfield Site, an old battery factory.

I merely pointed out that the conditions on the site were such that no newt could survive there.

I did not last long, less than a fortnight.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 04:46 PM

As I've said before, common sense is sadly lacking in 21st century Britain.

Will it ever return?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top