Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Re: Sinn Fein

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it was about class. The Irish were the underclass in Northern Ireland.
Which Irish? The Catholics or the Protestants?

And whoever it was, what was the practical situation?

Saying the word 'underclass' explains nothing.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 06:48 PM

I have often wondered who supports sinn Fein in NI?
Let's face it the aim of sinn Fein is the end of NI.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 08:25 PM

It was never about religion. That was just a smokescreen.

Not really. When Henry VIII broke from Rome (the Reformation) he saw Ireland, being a Catholic country, as a threat and a possible ally to Spain and France who could use Ireland as a base for an invasion. Matters came to a head after an Irish revolt in 1534 which tried to rally the Irish to create a Catholic crusade against a Protestant king. The first time that the two religions clashed.

The revolt was swiftly put down and Henry declared himself king of Ireland. As part of his attempted reformation in Ireland, Protestant settlers were given lands taken from the Irish natives. In later years, many came from Scotland (hence the harsh NI tongue).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Not really. When Henry VIII broke from Rome (the Reformation) he saw Ireland, being a Catholic country, as a threat and a possible ally to Spain and France who could use Ireland as a base for an invasion. Matters came to a head after an Irish revolt in 1534 which tried to rally the Irish to create a Catholic crusade against a Protestant king. The first time that the two religions clashed.

The revolt was swiftly put down and Henry declared himself king of Ireland. As part of his attempted reformation in Ireland, Protestant settlers were given lands taken from the Irish natives. In later years, many came from Scotland (hence the harsh NI tongue).
So religion, then, as I said.

I see no difficulties in the unification of north and south in Ireland. There is freedom of religion now in both parts of Ireland, so why couldn't both parts live under the same government?

Of course there will always be disagreement between different religions just as there always has been. A separate Northern Ireland didn't preclude that, did it?

I'd be interested in hearing Annie's response.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Which Irish? The Catholics or the Protestants?

And whoever it was, what was the practical situation?

Saying the word 'underclass' explains nothing.
You know what I mean by the Irish. I've worked with someone who looked down on her own Irish Grandmother. She was from NI and considered herself British. You can call it tribal for want of a better word.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 08:54 PM

As part of his attempted reformation in Ireland, Protestant settlers were given lands taken from the Irish natives. In later years, many came from Scotland (hence the harsh NI tongue).

Yes and these settlers have never seen themselves as Irish. Those I've met look down on the Irish. If the two groups had equal status I don't think there would have been such a vicious hatred between the two sides.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Potato
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-03-2017, 09:15 PM

You know what I mean by the Irish.
OK, I can only assume it's the majority of people who live in Eire and Northern Ireland.

If I have that wrong, I'd be grateful if you could explain.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 09:16 PM

Yes and these settlers have never seen themselves as Irish. Those I've met look down on the Irish. If the two groups had equal status I don't think there would have been such a vicious hatred between the two sides.
Do they look down on them because they are Irish or because they are Catholics?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-03-2017, 09:40 PM

Do they look down on them because they are Irish or because they are Catholics?
Because they are Irish. Most of these people aren't even religious. It's only in the last 20 years that Irish jokes stopped being the fashion in England. I don't recall anyone making jokes about Catholics.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top