Join for free
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 01:13 PM

DWP tells disability assessors to discriminate

Isn't this bloody real??? The scumbag 'nasty party' are now telling the PIP assessors to discriminate against those with 'mental health' issues. Despicable barstewards!!!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7629866.html

Then there's this: - up 50 disability charities are deeply concerned about the 'nasty party's' changes to PIP which will affect many hundred of thousand claimants. I wonder if the 'nasty party' will (a) listen to those concerns, (b) pay heed and change their policy of discrimination???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 02:08 PM

Re: DWP tells disability assessors to discriminate

I think much of the problem here is many people still don't recognise mental health problems and prefer a pull your socks up approach to many conditions. Depression is very common in my job but employers and gps don't seem to recognise it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Anxiety....why should someone with anxiety get mobility?

At this rate we'll all be claiming disability.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->

Anxiety covers several conditions tpin, some people can't leave home at all others need a carer with them. It's no fun at all.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 02:43 PM

My stepson suffers from paranoid schizophrenia which is (partly) controlled by medication. He is currently on DLA, but no doubt will shortly be transferred to PIP and will have to make a new claim for benefit. On what appears to be one of his good days (maybe one in every 10 days), to a stranger (like a DWP assessor) he would appear totally normal - logical, controlled, rational, intelligent and quite able to work. What is worse, on these "good" days, he is in denial about his illness and claims that he is "better." On a bad day, he spends most of the day in bed in deep depression, he talks to his voices constantly - sometimes conversationally, sometimes in angry argument. He is confrontational, antagonistic and occasionally violent. He sees people who are not there and will interrupt your conversation to make a cynical or unpleasant comment about you to one of his nastier voices. His voices might tell him to do something strange - a few weeks ago his voices told him to get on a train and go to the seaside but also to turn off his phone to stop people bothering him. We were insane with worry until at 9pm he turned his phone on again and asked me for a lift home from a seaside town over 100 miles away as he had no money left.
No employer would, knowing all the facts, dream of offering him a job - why should they? He would be unreliable, impossible to manage and disruptive within the work force, BUT - if he has a PIP assessment on a "good" day, I have no doubt he will be certified as "fit for work"

I don't believe that PIP assessors are fit and able people to assess those with mental illness - goodness knows they get it totally wrong often enough with the physically disabled (60% of their "fit for work" decisions are reversed when challenged).
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->

There is everyday anxiety which we all experience, and there is totally crippling anxiety which is as disabling as having no legs.
Same with depression - we all get depressed when things aren't going right, but this is a totally different experience from clinical depression which is not necessarily related to issues in everyday life, but is an illness which affects every aspect of your life in a disabling way.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

15-03-2017, 02:51 PM

What a wonderful dad you are mick managing to carry on as normal with that terrible condition. I know parents who have crumbled under the pressures, good people that couldn't cope.

I hope your son does get his benefit he needs it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
There is everyday anxiety which we all experience, and there is totally crippling anxiety which is as disabling as having no legs.
Same with depression - we all get depressed when things aren't going right, but this is a totally different experience from clinical depression which is not necessarily related to issues in everyday life, but is an illness which affects every aspect of your life in a disabling way.
I agree.....I'm not being flippant with my remark.

its a question of where we draw a line....what makes one person fit and what doesnt.

I don't envy the work of an assessor.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top