Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 07:08 AM

EU Breakup Premature

Just looking at the Dutch election results it appears that the imminent break up of the EU is unlikely

Polling over the past 12 months showed Geert Wilders was expected to receive as many as 32 seats in the Dutch Parliament, but in recent weeks his support appears to have faded.

Once predicted to come in first place, he may have come in third.

While the results are projected to net him an extra four seats, it’s nowhere near the “patriotic spring” Wilders had called for.

Looks like the EU might continue on without Britain

MODS: THIS IS NOT ABOUT BREXIT
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Re: EU Breakup Premature

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Just looking at the Dutch election results it appears that the imminent break up of the EU is unlikely

Polling over the past 12 months showed Geert Wilders was expected to receive as many as 32 seats in the Dutch Parliament, but in recent weeks his support appears to have faded.

Once predicted to come in first place, he may have come in third.

While the results are projected to net him an extra four seats, it’s nowhere near the “patriotic spring” Wilders had called for.

Looks like the EU might continue on without Britain

MODS: THIS IS NOT ABOUT BREXIT
Hi

Yes, not as forecast, but that is Democracy, a great thing.

The Labour Party got hammered, much like our Liberal Democrats for their part in the last Coalition Government, the Greens did well.

The signs are there though that the big Parties are falling out of favour all over the place, people are fed up with the long established political elite.

Interesting times.

Lovely Country the Netherlands and lovely people.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 08:31 AM

I wonder why the opinion polls get it so wrong these days? They used to be quite accurate, I wonder what's changed?

I'm not up on Dutch politics but this new government has promised a "patriotic Spring" whatever that means. Within the confines of the EU rules good luck on that one.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 08:34 AM

Only bothered what the UK do with what we have voted for.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 09:02 AM

If eu continues with out us I wish them well, all I am concerned with it wasn't the right place for us to stay and thrive as a nation. We had no identity of our own for too long we need to build one now as an independent country with our own values and ideals.

If others are happy within if and still feel they are independent or even if they prefer not to be independent that's for them to decide and act on. My friends in Poland, Spain, Italy and France (isn't the Internet wonderful to be able to have friends in so many places ) all want out, and tell me that's very popular or gaining popularity.

When we leave there will be a different Eu to what is there now less money going in less disruption from a country not used to being ruled from afar by unelected people, then would be good time to ask all countries within it what they want. Sadly I doubt that will happen and lessons won't have been learned but we will no longer have to worry about it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 09:14 AM

The Dutch people are as a whole fairly liberal friendly and not ones for stirring trouble they dont like arguments.

So while Geert Wilders has some good sound bites people know this does not equal sound policy. His supporters are mostly found among the low educated, red top readers, who are easily influenced by banner headlines.

The Netherlands has a long history of trade and co-operation with its neighbours (1939-1945 excluded! ) and the idea of ditching them and going it alone does not appeal to the vast majority. Yes they complain, its a national sport but when it comes down to the wire they vote with their common sense brain and not the pub talk brain.

In the last week the conflict with Turkey has had a big influence on things because people saw Rutte grow a pair,, this normally calm and un-emotional man suddenly came out fighting, defending our country and our way of life and people liked that because as I said they are not argumentative people but they are proud of their little country and the freedoms of speach and ways of life we enjoy.

Rutte wasnt my first choice but I think he will do his best and do a good job for the nation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 12:52 PM

If that's what the majority of the Dutch people want, that's fine by me.

I suspect that things will change, though. Give it time.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top