Join for free
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Famine in Africa

Africa is on the cusp of a another terrible famine.
In Somaliland three years of drought have killed off all the livestock and reduced the fields to desert.
In South Sudan people are already dying from lack of food and years of conflict .Ther UK has allotted millions in aid but the authorities make it difficult to deliver charging £8000 per head for aid workers to bring in the aid Forbes to its own suffering people.
In Nigeria people are dying in the NE where Boka Haram holds forth .
Then there is the Yemen where people are starving and dying .
The British government has offered to match pound for pound every pound raised by the DEC who are launching an appeal .

Here is the link

https://www.dec.org.uk/?gclid=Cj0KEQ...idoaAv518P8HAQ
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Re: Famine in Africa

Africa is a charity money pit, we have been throwing money at the Horn of Africa since 1984. If the millions upon millions of pounds, the millions of tons of food and medical supplies had not ended up funding and feeding the local warlords and gone into where it was needed then I might have had some sympathy and put my hand in my pocket again. I am suffering from charity overload, looking at the face of yet another starving child, or one scrapping water from a infected pool does nothing for me anymore.
I will now standby for yet another plea from a minor 'celeb' who will be videoed walking sadly around another refugee camp before being whisked back to his 4 star hotel in Dar es Salamm for his/her 4 course dinner.
I can but hope that Saint Bob of Geldof will not bring out another record and abuse me on the tv...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Bob has already been on TV this evening ,,,,,,,,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2017, 10:08 PM

The sad fact is it is the old , the woman and small children who are dying.
The men are dead or away in conflict.
If the world does nothing they will die.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Africa is a charity money pit, we have been throwing money at the Horn of Africa since 1984. If the millions upon millions of pounds, the millions of tons of food and medical supplies had not ended up funding and feeding the local warlords and gone into where it was needed then I might have had some sympathy and put my hand in my pocket again. I am suffering from charity overload, looking at the face of yet another starving child, or one scrapping water from a infected pool does nothing for me anymore.
I will now standby for yet another plea from a minor 'celeb' who will be videoed walking sadly around another refugee camp before being whisked back to his 4 star hotel in Dar es Salamm for his/her 4 course dinner.
I can but hope that Saint Bob of Geldof will not bring out another record and abuse me on the tv...
You've hit the nail on the head.

We, and other countries in the West, have been pouring money and other aid into Africa for decades now.

Have things improved?

Apparently not. Why?

As you send more and more aid, African people have more and more children who they cannot feed.

You can not beat nature.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I feel the same Rehab, I've been OD'ed with the BBC constantly trying to screw the general public out of their hard earned brass with their ever inventive ways and emotional blackmail. It's got to the point where I've been desensitised by their graphic pictures of suffering and violence that I am no longer shocked by the report of mass murder in the middle east or starvation in Africa on a global scale. I hate the fact that the media have made me like this, and it's one of the reasons that I treat the news with the same reaction that I would treat a movie, and that is....Well it's not real is it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The sad fact is it is the old , the woman and small children who are dying.
The men are dead or away in conflict.
If the world does nothing they will die.
The men are all over here or some other sympathetic country who will look after them. When the celebs wander round these African villages you never see any menfolk around do you, but with loads of children they must have been there at some point....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:01 PM

Well I heard 12m has been raised in the last 24 hours for DEC. I hope it reaches those in most need.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:03 PM

The simple truth is that the more we contribute, the more will die.

Yes, I know it sounds illogical, but I am convinced it is true. The more we contribute, the more they breed. Each generation increases the population and, because resources are finite, more die.

The proof is there to see.

As I said earlier, we have been contributing for decades. Has the situation been resolved yet?

No. It never will be.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:20 PM

I'd kind of go with Rehab and JBR on this.

I mean, how many times have people contributed for water pumps / wells and the like?
Ffs, by now there should be a water pump every 30m!!

Where do these funds actually go in reality?
Sorry, but I think we have to leave these countries to sort themselves out - especially while we still have our own on the streets!

I used to work with / get involved with Somali's a great deal as well.
Sorry to say it how it is, but most of them were downright bloody crooks who could not be trusted quite frankly.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top