Join for free
Page 2 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Re: Famine in Africa

I have to chip in......sorry.
How did this small country become so rich ?
Anything to do with ripping the riches out of our colonies ?
All those gems in the Queens coronation crown, they didn't come from Wales you know. Where did the cotton come from that kept the mills busy ? And the raw materials that drove the industrial revolution ?
We are one of the richest economies in the world, for the price of a pint you can save a life.................and not go short yourself........aint we lucky ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
All those gems in the Queens coronation crown, they didn't come from Wales you know. Where did the cotton come from that kept the mills busy ? And the raw materials that drove the industrial revolution ?
We are one of the richest economies in the world, for the price of a pint you can save a life.................and not go short yourself........aint we lucky ?
You run those adverts on the telly, don't you?

Keep giving, if you want to. It won't make any difference in the long run.

Either you facilitate rapid breeding and overpopulation, or perhaps your money will finance more civil wars.

Actually, the two probably cancel each other out to an extent when it comes to population control.

The only beneficial acts would be to encourage birth control, but the people there don't seem to be interested in that.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Yawn......

Yep, let's just keep on digging up the past, which has absolutely eff all to do with the current generations.
Government doing anyway - often not the choice of the public / electorate.

Lets just keep on digging up the past forever eh?
Not as if these countries do much to help themselves is it?

Lets just blame everyone else!!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:44 PM

As of March this year the population of Ethiopia is 103 million in 1984 when Sir Bob warbled his way into our hearts and wallets with Band Aid it was 40+million, imagine for one moment that there was no drought.
The country needs to look at itself seriously and not to the West to bail them out again.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
As of March this year the population of Ethiopia is 103 million in 1984 when Sir Bob warbled his way into our hearts and wallets with Band Aid it was 40+million, imagine for one moment that there was no drought.
The country needs to look at itself seriously and not to the West to bail them out again.
Exactly,

But people just refuse to see it as usual.
It's everyone else's fault!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:54 PM

I agree with you Bruv. It is a terrible sight to see these children ,who are clearly clinging onto life with their pathetic little bodies limp and struggling for every breath.
At the same time, I agree with those who have had more than enough from the media that exposes us to the horrific images in an attempt to make us feel guilty, but it works for many so why wouldn't they ?

My bone of contention is with the United Nations, that is voluntarily given money from Governments towards disaster relief etc,. where does all of that money go to when it's needed most. They get billions. When there is a crisis they put a call out for public fund raising schemes, which is ok, but why firstly do they allow things to get to such a pitch before action is taken, any why do they not move in straight away to assist ,and re-coup the funds later from the monies raised ?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:55 PM

Nice to hear from a fully paid up member of the Fix the Blame, not the Problem.
When a beggar comes to my door and asks for help to feed himself, wife and child then I am happy to help
When the beggar returns to my home and asks for help to feed his 3 wives and 9 children then I might give reluctantly
When the same beggar returns yet again with more wives and more children and demands help then he is taking me for a mug.
Edited to add Ethiopia was never a colony.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:56 PM

I'd donate but ive seen the corruption first hand(video)My pal did a food run and was held up by government officials and the trucks emptied by soldiers to feed soldiers.

It's a real shame that we feel this way but the blame lies firmly at the feet of the charities and saturation

oh yeah....and I'm a tight git.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

16-03-2017, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Nice to hear from a fully paid up member of the Fix the Blame, not the Problem.
When a beggar comes to my door and asks for help to feed himself, wife and child then I am happy to help
When the beggar returns to my home and asks for help to feed his 3 wives and 9 children then I might give reluctantly
When the same beggar returns yet again with more wives and more children and demands help then he is taking me for a mug.
Edited to add Ethiopia was never a colony.
A good analogy tbh..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Exactly,

But people just refuse to see it as usual.
It's everyone else's fault!
According to the bleating do-gooders, it's all OUR fault!

Page 2 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top