Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 10:07 PM

Re: March 29th.

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
True, but the death throes are dangerous, Junckers and co. Will not go quietly they are on a nice little earner.
Well they can take it out on the Frogs and the other remaining countries. I have enough confidence in TM that she will do her best for us.

Funny, that. Our two most able PMs have been TM and MT, and both women.

A portent for the future, perhaps?

Who's next, I wonder? DA?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
ALL empires collapse eventually.
it's not a real empire. Maybe some would like it to be but at present it isn't.

I can't see it collapsing, I see it evolving to something we would probably find acceptable. There is going to be too much pressure to change.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 11:12 PM

Funny, that. Our two most able PMs have been TM and MT, and both women.
How can you compare TM with MT? She hasn't done anything yet.

I admired MT, who was an extraordinary character with a vision and the drive to make it a reality. TM unfortunately does not fill me with the same level of confidence and is a very different kettle of fish. The current challenge does require a fair dollop of charisma.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 11:18 PM

Better her than Jeremy I suppose who has the charisma of a wet dog turd
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-03-2017, 11:23 PM

Two things.

Firstly, I have every confidence that our negotiators will meet with success, not with the EU but with countries outside the EU. The proportion of our exports to the EU may well then become a good deal lower than the quoted 42%, as we begin to export more to other countries.

Secondly, it is more than possible that the EU will collapse: many have predicted it. It is not 'if', but 'when, and when it does, there are several countries presently in the EU who will welcome mutually beneficial trading agreements with us.
firstly our exports and imports to /from the EU are not going to significantly change, they will just become more expensive both ways unless a sensible negotiation stance is taken. It's our main market and there is no way it's going to go down a great deal. In fact it may increase if our entrepreneurial spirit is stimulated. If perhaps the government decide to do another U-bend and make it easier for people to trade from the UK rather than what I am seeing, which is that they are making everything here more difficult for small businesses.

To wish for the EU to collapse is to wish misfortune on our economy. If the EU is damaged by our departure or political infighting then we are equally damaged. It is unrealistic to assume that we will be unscathed in some separate universe. Like it or not our economies are global.

It is easy to assume that trade with the rest of the World will increase but much of the rest of the World is not as politically and economically stable as Europe. All it takes is a civil war to close a lucrative trade deal dead. On another thread you argued the point that we should stay out of global disputes. The point you are making would indicate an alternative strategy where we try to promote peace for mutual economic benefit. The most lucrative markets near to us are in Africa. This is why the US was meddling so much abroad. But why would we want to bother to do this when we have a great market so close by?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-03-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Better her than Jeremy I suppose who has the charisma of a wet dog turd
Don't start me on that subject.... There are just no decent personalities around when you need them most.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it's not a real empire. Maybe some would like it to be but at present it isn't.
I read recently in the Express that Junker & Co. had announced that their intention was to combine all of the EU countries into a single nation, including a unified government, armed forces, etc.

In fact, I'm sure I posted the link on here not long ago.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-03-2017, 11:34 PM

How can you compare TM with MT? She hasn't done anything yet.
Perhaps time will tell.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-03-2017, 11:38 PM

I read recently in the Express that Junker & Co. had announced that their intention was to combine all of the EU countries into a single nation, including a unified government, armed forces, etc.

In fact, I'm sure I posted the link on here not long ago.

Yes that's always been an ambition of some, but it has not happened and I cannot see it happening any time soon. It just underlines why Jnckr needs to go.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-03-2017, 11:41 PM

Yes that's always been an ambition of some, but it has not happened and I cannot see it happening any time soon. It just underlines why Juncker needs to go.
Again, we shall see.

The much vaunted 'European Army' sounds feasible for starters.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top