Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 12:42 PM

Re: EU citizens in UK anxiously seek security before Brexit

Hi

Each Country in the EU has it's own rules about residency.

We have an 85 page form, which must be answered perfectly and be backed up by numerous pieces of paper from years ago, most of which have to be originals and which most people would have long since thrown away.

Typical UK over bureaucracy.

If you are rejected for even the slightest reason, iike a photocopy or downloaded bill, your rejection comes with a letter telling you to prepare to leave the UK.

This is irrespective of the fact that you may be a Doctor or Nurse who has worked here in the NHS for many years.

Not surprisingly, the highly skilled ones are leaving, which will cause us all sorts of problems.

On the other hand, if you are an illegal migrant who has destroyed your papers and never contributed to Tax or National Insurance at all, you are provided with Benefits and a lawyer paid for by UK Taxpayers to defend your so called Human Right to stay here.

This is our own stupidity.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 12:46 PM

I think it's all very sad. The more I hear, the more I read from various sources, the more convinced I am that Britain is making a huge mistake that is going to adversely affect the current population, the future population and the country.

Too many people are focussing on the past, the past is gone, it isn't coming back, the world is a different place. Many others appear to be seeing a utopian future without a thought for the fact that people have to live in the here and now, they don't appear to consider the future for those who rely on their jobs to keep their homes and families.

We hear talk about building industry again, but you can't build industries you no longer own. We hear we can grow our own food, again, mostly weather dependent. Farmers, well all the ones we know are becoming very unhappy about the future.

Then we hear about all the countries that will want to trade with Britain, but so far that doesn't appear to look very wonderful either.

Professional people, such as the one mentioned in the above article, are obviously feeling very uncomfortable about the way they are being treated, they no longer feel welcome, and who can blame them? Many of them will leave and take their skills elsewhere, Britain's loss.

I can only hope I'm wrong, for the sake of my own family and friends in England, but at the present time I can only say I don't see anything very positive for Britain's future.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
The problem as I see it, doesn't only apply to the immigrants living and working in the UK. It equally applies to ex Pats living in Europe. Theresa May has tried to discuss this with the EU, but to date they have refused to talk.
I saw last night that Spain has backed the UK on reaching a deal about it. But if Merkel, and Juncker etc refuse to talk, then is doesn't get discussed.

In theory, it should be easy to agree to. But politicians will make it as difficult as possible.
Its our government using people as bargaining chips. This would have been easily solved last week had they made the right decisions then. You take it off the table then and give these poor people peace of mind and give our businesses and services certainty. But no of course that would be far too sensible.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It can only be hoped that the professional jobs people, such as the above mentioned, can be filled by British people. I hope there are enough competent British people to take over such jobs.
Ditto. Complete disorder and confusion will ensue.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:26 PM

I don't think that's the reason, it's worse than that, they are using people as pawns in the negotiations IMO
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Soft targets. Getting at those who are here legally and have lived and worked here for, in some cases, many years and have made a valuable contribution instead of rounding up the illegals, the feckless, the criminals and kicking them out.

All those who have settled here and have set up homes to have families here should be allowed to stay.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Soft targets. Getting at those who are here legally and have lived and worked here for, in some cases, many years and have made a valuable contribution instead of rounding up the illegals, the feckless, the criminals and kicking them out.

All those who have settled here and have set up homes to have families here should be allowed to stay.
I absolutely agree with you, but it would seem it is the honest, hardworking, genuine people who are being targeted, not those you so aptly describe above, you can bet your life they won't be going anywhere.

Our young doctor here in Spain is Polish. Maria (not her name but she likes to be called Maria), speaks perfect English, French and Spanish, as well as her own language of course. Her original plan when she qualified was to work in England, but her mother, who is a history professor, was adamant that she didn't apply for jobs in England, telling her that she would not be well received. It would appear her mother was correct. England's loss, Spain's gain, we have a very pleasant doctor who can converse with the majority of "foreign" people in their own language.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 02:09 PM

I was amused yesterday about an article on Radio Leeds. A schoolteacher of Polish origin thought it would be good idea to have a morning broadcast over the school radio to the East European mothers who dropped their kids off every morning explaining the events of the day. Some mothers interviewed about the scheme were Polish, Ukrainian and Latvian and all could understand the broadcasts because of similarities in the languages. The mothers had to be interviewed via their children whose English is excellent. Their Yorkshire accents were very pronounced thus proving that they were either born here or had arrived at a very young age - no different to any of the other kids in the school. You can't kick families like this out and send the kids to what would be a foreign country.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 02:23 PM

We had a democratic vote to do just that did we not? Did any of the clever people who voted to leave not realise this would happen?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

21-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I was amused yesterday about an article on Radio Leeds. A schoolteacher of Polish origin thought it would be good idea to have a morning broadcast over the school radio to the East European mothers who dropped their kids off every morning explaining the events of the day. Some mothers interviewed about the scheme were Polish, Ukrainian and Latvian and all could understand the broadcasts because of similarities in the languages. The mothers had to be interviewed via their children whose English is excellent. Their Yorkshire accents were very pronounced thus proving that they were either born here or had arrived at a very young age - no different to any of the other kids in the school. You can't kick families like this out and send the kids to what would be a foreign country.
That seems a pretty good idea to me. Also the parents will pick up English from their children who are being taught at school.

I donīt know about school radio broadcasts but I do know of many ex pat parents here who learn much of their Spanish from their children.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top