Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Re: EU citizens in UK anxiously seek security before Brexit

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
We had a democratic vote to do just that did we not? Did any of the clever people who voted to leave not realise this would happen?
We had a vote to regain our independance and control future immigration, not throw out people already living here, that was not on anyone's agenda that I saw.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:01 PM

was startled to receive a letter from the British government telling him that his application for permanent residence had been rejected and he should prepare to leave the U.K.
Could that just be a standard letter sent to everyone ahead of negotiations and a just formality.

Once article 50 is officially triggered and negotiations into a reciprocal agreement for settled residents is decided the letters could be rescinded .

As the EU rebuffed Mrs May's attempts to discuss a reciprocal agreement before formal negotiations started it is possible a logical train of events followed.

We will see in time if the letters showed serious intent or were just a formality.

I feel all this uncertainty could have been avoided if the EU hadn't been so intransigent and had approached the discussions of EU residence in a timely manner and with a degree of amicability instead of chest beating and rhetoric .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We had a vote to regain our independance and control future immigration, not throw out people already living here, that was not on anyone's agenda that I saw.
This....^^^
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:09 PM

You all know damn well that the rabble will not be happy until they have driven every last foreigner into the sea and you gave them the idea they could get away with it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Could that just be a standard letter sent to everyone ahead of negotiations and a just formality.

Once article 50 is officially triggered and negotiations into a reciprocal agreement for settled residents is decided the letters could be rescinded .

As the EU rebuffed Mrs May's attempts to discuss a reciprocal agreement before formal negotiations started it is possible a logical train of events followed.

We will see in time if the letters showed serious intent or were just a formality.

I feel all this uncertainty could have been avoided if the EU hadn't been so intransigent and had approached the discussions of EU residence in a timely manner and with a degree of amicability instead of chest beating and rhetoric .
Then why send the letters now? Why not wait until things were more certain? Why make the people that UK need feel uncertain and not wanted? Virtually any country would be more than happy to have these well educated, professional people. Who can blame them for leaving and going where they feel more welcome?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:14 PM

You all know damn well that the rabble will not be happy until they have driven every last foreigner into the sea and you gave them the idea they could get away with it.
No I think calling everyone who wanted to leave eu racists did that, if the campaign to stay had been less nasty all this could have been avoided.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Then why send the letters now? Why not wait until things were more certain? Why make the people that UK need feel uncertain and not wanted? Virtually any country would be more than happy to have these well educated, professional people. Who can blame them for leaving and going where they feel more welcome?
Loretta things could have been 'more certain' months ago we were willing...
Angela Merkel and Donald Tusk on Tuesday united to block Theresa May's attempt to fast-track a deal which would have created an amnesty for British ex-pats and EU migrants in the UK post-Brexit.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ating-anxiety/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Loretta I am not aware of any 'well educated professional people' not being made welcome.
Were I one of them from the EU and living here I would would not be panicking and listening to what could just be scare mongering, I would look at the situation logically fill in any forms required of me and wait for the official negotiations to begin.
I would also be peed off with people like Merkel and Tusk delaying any negotiations on my future in a show of power and pettiness.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Well that's me wife off for a swim then!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Hi

No Meg, it is not a standard letter at all, it is a specific one sent to those who have applied for permanent residency following the Brexit Referendum and who have been refused, even on the smallest technicality.

Some of the reasons for rejection where unknown previously, having never been posted on the Government Websites and not been publicised elsewhere.

A complete nonsense, even people who have been here for 20 years are being affected, primarily EU spouses of UK Citizens.

Even those who children were born here and the children are now either working or at Uni.

We cannot unilaterally give full Citizenship to all.

We have EU Criminals here, we need to be able to deport them when convicted, the EU need to be able to the same when our Criminals commit crimes in the EU.

As you quite rightly say, a little bit of commonsense should be able to sort this out.

Unfortunately it would appear that in this instance, our Home Office are being as stupid as Juncker.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/748...-EU-referendum

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top