Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Re: Cholesterol

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Oh, that's excellent news, Julie! What is your secret, vegetarian diet, maybe?
I have to lower mine, somehow, not keen to have statins although not been offered them yet.
She is annoyed as I eat cheese by the bucket load, cream in my coffee when I fancy it, ice cream when I fancy it, eat eggs every day. All the things you are not supposed to do. She always tells me not to let anyone else know
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
She is annoyed as I eat cheese by the bucket load, cream in my coffee when I fancy it, ice cream when I fancy it, eat eggs every day. All the things you are not supposed to do. She always tells me not to let anyone else know
You can do this Julie because most of your Cholesterol is made in the liver. Your diet will have very little effect on your overall cholesterol level.

As explained earlier, high Triglyceride levels would give you a high overall cholesterol reading.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You can do this Julie because most of your Cholesterol is made in the liver. Your diet will have very little effect on your overall cholesterol level.

As explained earlier, high Triglyceride levels would give you a high overall cholesterol reading.
NHS nurse insists its diet though which is why she gets so upset.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
NHS nurse insists its diet though which is why she gets so upset.
She is wrong Julie, google it or ask your Doctor.....Diet plays very little part in raising your cholesterol unless it's high levels of sugar in your blood therefore raising your Triglyceride levels which is part of your overall cholesterol reading. Therefore, it's too much sugar that will raise your cholesterol and not fats.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I have been taking statins for more than ten years. Back then my count was over seven. Since taking statins it has dropped to a little over four. I have monthly blood tests to check for kidney functions etc.
Stepping aside now to await the words of wisdom from Realist.

EZ, can I ask which Statin you were prescribed, and can you remember if it had any nasty side effects in the early days please?
I believe my GP does the first monthly blood test, then not again for 6 or 12 months!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:51 PM

Hi Mups. I am on Simvastatin. 1x 20mg tab last thing at night which I never forget to take. No side effects whatsoever. I just phone the docs surgery and make an appointment every four weeks or so and request a blood test as advised years ago and my blood is tested for a whole range of possible problems. Occasionally I overlook my appointment for a week or so but never forget completely.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:56 PM

Mr Mags was prescribed Simvastatin four years ago, he takes 1 x 10mg tablet last thing at night. He has never had any side effects from it.

His doctor gives him a blood test once a year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Hi Mups. I am on Simvastatin. 1x 20mg tab last thing at night which I never forget to take. No side effects whatsoever. I just phone the docs surgery and make an appointment every four weeks or so and request a blood test as advised years ago and my blood is tested for a whole range of possible problems. Occasionally I overlook my appointment for a week or so but never forget completely.

Thank you EZ. I was prescribed the same ones recently, but am afraid to take them.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thank you EZ. I was prescribed the same ones recently, but am afraid to take them.
Maximum dose of a statin is 80mg I would not expect to see any side effects from anything less than 20mg Mups.

Statins will affect the way your body processes fats, acid indigestion will result if fatty foods are consumed too close to bedtime. Which is the preferred time to take a statin.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:07 PM

I have just realised how long I have been taking statins. I started when I was 60 and I shall be 77 this year! At the same time I was prescribed statins I was also prescribed Atenolol which are beta blockers. I still feel as fit as I did in my 40s/50s. I am still able to take a 20 mile bike ride at least twice a week and often more. I walk my dog 3 times every day, the first time is at 6.30 every morning throughout the year. Whether this is all down to my meds or not who knows but i'm not going to stop taking them to find out.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top