Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:07 PM

Re: Cholesterol

I've been taking Simvastatin for a few years now, with no side effects. I have an annual blood test which actually was today. I'm pleased I don't have them any more frequently, it was a right performance today getting enough blood to test!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Maximum dose of a statin is 80mg I would not expect to see any side effects from anything less than 20mg Mups.

Statins will affect the way your body processes fats, acid indigestion will result if fatty foods are consumed too close to bedtime. Which is the preferred time to take a statin.

Are you on them too Foxy?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
EZ, can I ask which Statin you were prescribed, and can you remember if it had any nasty side effects in the early days please?
I believe my GP does the first monthly blood test, then not again for 6 or 12 months!
Hi

I have a class reaction to Statins, not nice side effects at all, in fact very dangerous.

They where prescribed for me after my heart attack and quadruple bypass.

My cholesterol was not high at the time, 5.1, but still prescribed them.

Statins are not for everyone.

I accept what OGF says, many of us produce our own cholesterol, however I did change my diet.

I eat a lot more vegetables now, changed the type of oils that I use for cooking.

It does work, you feel so much better.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:17 PM

Are you on them too Foxy?

After my first Heart Attack back in 2004 I took Statins, Aspirin, and Ramipril for six months and then stopped them all. I didn't suffer any side effects though.

Then when I had my second Heart Attack I agreed to take a 10mg statin. I took this until three months later when I had a stent fitted. The Doctor told me that 10mg was a waste of time and put me on 80mg. I had terrible problems with acid indigestion at night, it was keeping me awake every night, something I had never experienced before, so I stopped taking them and the problems cleared up.

I continue to take a 75mg dispersible aspirin and 2.5mg ramipril every morning Mups but no statins. Statins have also being linked to Diabetes.....
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:22 PM

Unfortunately many people these days do not eat a proper balanced diet. We have moved very much into the age of fast food. Anything for speed and convenience. Fresh vegetables are not expensive but they do take a few minutes to prepare and cook. Most Mums and Dads have to work these days therefore fast, shop bought, ready meals are the easier but unhealthier option i'm afraid. Hence the increase in our overweight population especially of young children.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:26 PM

...i'm checked for Diabetes monthly too..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
After my first Heart Attack back in 2004 I took Statins, Aspirin, and Ramipril for six months and then stopped them all. I didn't suffer any side effects though.

Then when I had my second Heart Attack I agreed to take a 10mg statin. I took this until three months later when I had a stent fitted. The Doctor told me that 10mg was a waste of time and put me on 80mg. I had terrible problems with acid indigestion at night, it was keeping me awake every night, something I had never experienced before, so I stopped taking them and the problems cleared up.

I continue to take a 75mg dispersible aspirin and 2.5mg ramipril every morning Mups but no statins. Statins have also being linked to Diabetes.....

Foxy, what is Ramipril?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:52 PM

Foxy, what is Ramipril?
Hi

It is a dog repellent Mups.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-03-2017, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is a dog repellent Mups.

Oh stoppit you.

Time you was in bed anyway.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 09:25 AM

Foxy, what is Ramipril?
I think a lot of us are on that its one of the more common blood pressure meds, if has the added effect of protecting the heart I was told.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top