Join for free
Page 27 of 62 « First < 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 02:24 PM

Re: Shooting outside Parliament

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Was this unfortunate police officer not even supplied with a stab vest?
they asked that on the radio the other day. A guy whose brother is in the same unit called in. Said that his brother always wears one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
they asked that on the radio the other day. A guy whose brother is in the same unit called in. Said that his brother always wears one.
Not very up on stab vests but if you are stabbed in neck or similar they won't protect you ? Could be he wore one but was stabbed above or below it ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not very up on stab vests but if you are stabbed in neck or similar they won't protect you ? Could be he wore one but was stabbed above or below it ?
Apparently he as stabbed several times, so there was an intent to kill.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 08:20 AM

Before I retired I worked two days a week in London, I regularly walked past Scotland Yard and saw guards obviously visible with scary looking guns, it didn't make me feel uneasy it just reminded me of the possible threat. Same at the Home Office where I attended meetings, armed guards and revolving glass air lock security doors.

Seems a bit daft we should go to such lengths in those examples yet be what seems fairly lax with the highest office in the land The Houes of Parliament?

I don't think seeing armed guards is scary, quite the opposite actually, we are all adults we know there are people out to ruin our democracy it doesn't hurt to keep reminding us of that and keep us safe.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 08:30 AM

This attack only took 82 seconds from start to finish.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 09:44 AM

I know that's what they keep saying this morning, I keep thinking no comfort to those involved.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 09:57 AM

The problem is that if we wish to retain the semblance of a free, open society, these kind of 'lone wolf' attacks are almost impossible to prevent.
The only realistic longterm strategy would be to put much more resources into mental healthcare. The murderer of Jo Cox MP, the killers of Gunner Rigby, Adrian Ajoa (Khalid Masood and Anders Brevik all had one thing in common - they were sufferering from serious mental illnesses which made it very easy for them to convince themselves that murder with a political/religious motive was the way for them to achieve immortality.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
The problem is that if we wish to retain the semblance of a free, open society, these kind of 'lone wolf' attacks are almost impossible to prevent.
The only realistic longterm strategy would be to put much more resources into mental healthcare. The murderer of Jo Cox MP, the killers of Gunner Rigby, Adrian Ajoa (Khalid Masood and Anders Brevik all had one thing in common - they were sufferering from serious mental illnesses which made it very easy for them to convince themselves that murder with a political/religious motive was the way for them to achieve immortality.
I am not sure I can agree on that, for several reasons.
1) If there are so many people with mental illness, who commit crime, we have to question whether it is really mental illness or just a good way to get a lighter punishment?
2) There weren't so many criminals with mental illness in the past so, if there are sufficient resources, we should be investigating why mental health is becoming such a big issue.
3 Where there are criminals with mental issues, should we be giving so much of the resources to care for them, when there are innocent people who are struggling to get normal health care , owing to lack of NHS money?
4) Should we be investing so much money into criminals who murder, whether they are sane or not, when we have proof that they have committed the murders? Surely, in a world that has too many people, we should not be using precious resources to keep those, of least value to society, safe and well?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am not sure I can agree on that, for several reasons.
1) If there are so many people with mental illness, who commit crime, we have to question whether it is really mental illness or just a good way to get a lighter punishment?
2) There weren't so many criminals with mental illness in the past so, if there are sufficient resources, we should be investigating why mental health is becoming such a big issue.
3 Where there are criminals with mental issues, should we be giving so much of the resources to care for them, when there are innocent people who are struggling to get normal health care , owing to lack of NHS money?
4) Should we be investing so much money into criminals who murder, whether they are sane or not, when we have proof that they have committed the murders? Surely, in a world that has too many people, we should not be using precious resources to keep those, of least value to society, safe and well?
Mental health is treated very badly in this country since closure of our asylum system. Many walking the streets these days would never have posed a threat years ago they would have been locked away from society. I know personally a lad with scizophrenia who presented to police station begging to be locked up he was afraid he might hurt someone. They had no way to deal with that as no crime had been committed. Sadly he went home killed his sister, and went to the train station and pushed a lady in a wheelchair onto the tracks.

Two weeks he was locked up and hex was back on the street again. His mum is terrified of him and locks and bars her doors and windows.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Mental health is treated very badly in this country since closure of our asylum system. Many walking the streets these days would never have posed a threat years ago they would have been locked away from society. I know personally a lad with scizophrenia who presented to police station begging to be locked up he was afraid he might hurt someone. They had no way to deal with that as no crime had been committed. Sadly he went home killed his sister, and went to the train station and pushed a lady in a wheelchair onto the tracks.

Two weeks he was locked up and hex was back on the street again. His mum is terrified of him and locks and bars her doors and windows.
Two weeks after killing his sister and pushing a woman onto tracks...he was released?

Somebody's telling you Porkies, Julie.

Page 27 of 62 « First < 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top