Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Re: New TV Licensing phishing scam

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am sure you are all too sensible to do this but....
I have had an e mail, from TVLICENSE [janalins@ruhrwelt.com]
Thanks Twink always good to know what the latest scams are even if they are obvious.
You never know......
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Twink always good to know what the latest scams are even if they are obvious.
You never know......
Those were my thoughts too Foxy. These scammers are coming up with new ideas all the time, and they wouldn't bother if they weren't occasionally successful.
It is easy for people to say "those who get caught must be stupid" , but that sounds like people are saying "serves them right". A warning takes two mins and may help them.
When I was young and going out somewhere, my mum always used to say " Make sure you look both ways before crossing the road". I used to think " Oh no, not that again " but looking back I can never be certain that her warnings didn't make me think twice before crossing the road!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 09:45 AM

We get a weekly Consumers Association Which update. I have just seen this

Scam watch: TV licence scam

I recently visited the TV Licensing website to apply for the free licence for over-75s. Just four days later, I received an email stating I was eligible for a refund of £86.99, but my account couldn’t be credited due to invalid details and to click the link to be refunded. By phone, TV Licensing staff confirmed this was a scam. If I did not pay by direct debit and had been expecting a rebate, I would have been more vulnerable.

Mike Douglas, Bath
We say: It would appear the timing of this phishing email was a coincidence. Whenever you receive an email from a company, check whether the email address appears unusual. If you hover over the link and it directs to an unusual domain, that’s another tell-tale sign of a scam. Never click on a link in an email you think may be suspicious or reply to the sender. Be aware that TV Licensing will never email to ask for bank details or personal information. If you have any doubts about the sender of an email, contact the company by phone or go directly to its website.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top