Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Should our Police be Armed?

It is very sad really as our wonderful Policemen and Women are renowned as being one of the last Police Forces in the world not to be armed. When tourists from other countries think of our bobbies, they naturally think of their world renowned peaked helmets, having their photo taken with them and asking for directions. The British Bobbie is as famous as Big Ben, red buses, the tower, Parliament and Buckingham Palace.

However, times have changed and that picture of the smiling Bobbie in his Dixon of Dock Green uniform and persona now belongs strictly in the past. I feel strongly that our police should routinely be armed as other police forces in most European countries are.

One only has to think of that poor policeman guarding the Parliament entrance this week to see how helpless he was against scum such as he who came armed with knives, lax security , because the gate was wide open to allow all MP’s to enter and leave quickly after voting that evening,, the actual armed guards not staying in one place in case of a terrorist attack, and the poor, extremely brave policeman lost his life!. If he had been armed he could have at least put a bullet in that madman before he could have reached him. It is so, so sad.

What do you think? Do you think our police should be armed? Or not.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Re: Should our Police be Armed?

I am surprised he's wasn't as nearly all the police in that area wear combat gear and carry semi automatics
As do the police at airports these days .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Personally I would say not. We have armed police at the moment that can be quickly deployed but the more that the police arm themselves then would the criminal fraternity feel they have to do the same? The fear is that we would eventually end up like America.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 01:41 PM

I would be more afraid that some arsey copper would kill someone innocent they don't do too well with tazers having zapped blind men and mentally ill people .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Morning Muddy, yes, I too was shocked to learn the poor man was not armed. I understand that there are always 5 men in the compound but the two armed policemen never stay in the same place in case of a terrorist attack (which makes sense) but personally I believe it left the remaining policemen vulnerable to attack as this has shown.

I genuinely believe that all officers should be armed now. These are dangerous times and we are dealing with the devil incarnate.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 01:53 PM

No...they shouldn't and the majority of police officers that I know, agree.

it's a massive responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm, one I'd not like to be burdened with.

Should we have more armed officers?

Yes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:00 PM

With the exception of the firearms unit no the police should not be armed.

What happened 2 days ago in London was a terrible event but let's not get things out of proportion, it was one event in a country.

Once you start arming the police I feel it would increase the overall use of guns.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Are Spanish police armed? My 'thinks he's tough' brother in law who lives in Spain was stopped by the police for speeding. He sauntered up to them thinking they would be friendly and let him off! Instead, their reaction scared the life out of him and he'd never mess with them again!
My point is, would that type of policeman be more effective?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Are Spanish police armed? My 'thinks he's tough' brother in law who lives in Spain was stopped by the police for speeding. He sauntered up to them thinking they would be friendly and let him off! Instead, their reaction scared the life out of him and he'd never mess with them again!
My point is, would that type of policeman be more effective?
And my betting is, this officer was Guardia Civil
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Not generally no, but some areas they should. I'm more worried about tasers they are killers but employed rather enthusiastically at drop of a hat.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top