Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Re: Should our Police be Armed?

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
And my betting is, this officer was Guardia Civil
I don't know? I just know they scared the life out of him!

It might have been because he offered them a bribe!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Are Spanish police armed? My 'thinks he's tough' brother in law who lives in Spain was stopped by the police for speeding. He sauntered up to them thinking they would be friendly and let him off! Instead, their reaction scared the life out of him and he'd never mess with them again!
My point is, would that type of policeman be more effective?
I agree that our police should be armed.

All other European police are armed. Does that encourage their criminals to arm themselves?

While we're at it, we should make our judiciary issue more severe punishments. As things are, the criminals just laugh at them on their way out of court.

And then go out and do the same thing again.

Many people in this country have no respect for the police (or the courts). The answer to overcoming this lack of respect is simple: just be like other European countries.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:37 PM

The PCSO on the beat armed? No way.baton and a can of` take that you arsehole` gas Yes
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:43 PM

I wonder if it were our son/daughter, husband/wife who was an unarmed police officer, would we think differently?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
The PCSO on the beat armed? No way.baton and a can of` take that you arsehole` gas Yes
Our pcso is fabulous guy I'd arm him in a flash, our police constables not so quickly. Mainly because of their ages, they approach people completely differently one a peace keeper and the other two control freaks. I accept that is just locally but you can't see them all as the same IMO
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:48 PM

I wonder if it were our son/daughter, husband/wife who was an unarmed police officer, would we think differently?
They joined an unarmed establishment......if an officer felt so uneasy about being unarmed they should leave.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:49 PM

Good point, tbh I would not want mine going into some of these situations unarmed, but I fear the escalation of policemen and women being shot if they do all carry guns.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
No way. If they aren't suitable to be a real policeperson, then they aren't suitable to carry firearms.

I'm of the opinion that 'Plastic Policepersons' are just a cheap alternative to make the numbers look good. The have very little authority and don't have the power of arrest.

We need to spend more money and employ more of the real thing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
They joined an unarmed establishment......if an officer felt so uneasy about being unarmed they should leave.
Another good point but I'm not sure when they join they realise exactly what they may face daily.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Our pcso is fabulous guy I'd arm him in a flash, our police constables not so quickly. Mainly because of their ages, they approach people completely differently one a peace keeper and the other two control freaks. I accept that is just locally but you can't see them all as the same IMO
You can't arm somebody that doesn't even have the powers to arrest

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top