Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Re: Should our Police be Armed?

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You can't arm somebody that doesn't even have the powers to arrest
I know but I'd feel safer if he had a gun rather than the cocky young men who hate getting out of their panda car.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I know but I'd feel safer if he had a gun rather than the cocky young men who hate getting out of their panda car.
It's years since I've heard that

#Get with it, Julie.....squad car.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Both wrong!

It's a jam sandwich.........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 03:23 PM

I always liked the idea of panda cars, sounds more friendly and cuddly than a squad car
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Both wrong!

It's a jam sandwich.........
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 03:29 PM

In high profile places like Parliament I would say yes , I think that officer who was killed would be a live today if he had something to ward the attacker off .
This was one man attacking with knives what if it was more ,they could have got in Parliament and done a lot of damage to life.
I hope the next officer they put on the gate is armed ,or this can happen again .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 03:36 PM

For those who think only Firearms should be supplied to certain police personnel, In some areas it would take 40 minutes for them to reach an incident - not good enough!

These are dangerous times. Although no-one is willing to admit it, we may well treasure our democracy which was earned in two world wars, but that democracy has to be protected from those that are solely intent on destroying it.

Whether people are willing to admit it or not, there is evil within this beautiful country solely intent on destroying everything that we hold dear in our way of life. They hate our democracy and freedom and our brave policemen and women are our only front line, our only protection as civilians if anything should happen, and happen it has! I am not being flippant but I fail to see how a truncheon or a taser would protect us against evil carrying a machine gun in an airport, a train station or a shopping centre.

There are far too few armed officers. I am not saying that civilian community officers should be armed, but certainly warranted officers should be. Those officers who are against such a move should not be in the Police Force. It is their job, their duty to protect, and if that means carrying a gun in these frightening times, then so be it.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
For those who think only Firearms should be supplied to certain police personnel, In some areas it would take 40 minutes for them to reach an incident - not good enough!

These are dangerous times. Although no-one is willing to admit it, we may well treasure our democracy which was earned in two world wars, but that democracy has to be protected from those that are solely intent on destroying it.

Whether people are willing to admit it or not, there is evil within this beautiful country solely intent on destroying everything that we hold dear in our way of life. They hate our democracy and freedom and our brave policemen and women are our only front line, our only protection as civilians if anything should happen, and happen it has! I am not being flippant but I fail to see how a truncheon or a taser would protect us against evil carrying a machine gun in an airport, a train station or a shopping centre.

There are far too few armed officers. I am not saying that civilian community officers should be armed, but certainly warranted officers should be. Those officers who are against such a move should not be in the Police Force. It is their job, their duty to protect, and if that means carrying a gun in these frightening times, then so be it.
It wouldn't. An AK for example can empty it's entire 30 round mag in sub 4 seconds.

I'm not sure all officers should be armed, but I do think we need more armed officers / response units, so such scenes can be attended far more quickly.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

I was thinking more along the lines of if they are guarding eg parliament, MPs, hospitals etc I take your point about roving incidents though hadn't thought along those lines.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

24-03-2017, 04:05 PM

I've never been convinced (tbh) of the argument that arming the Police will encourage more criminals to be armed.

In my wife's country of origin, the Police are armed.
Also, it's quite easy to get a firearms licence. You can keep a gun at home for self defense for example and even apply for a concealed carry permit.

Despite this, gun crime there is actually very low, as is private gun ownership.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top