Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
yani
yani is female 

02-01-2016, 04:33 PM

Ancestral background

I'm just curious where all of you amazing people came from? I know the majority of members were born and raised in the UK. Where did your ancestors come from and another question, what is your family story about an ancestor/ancestors?

My ancestors came from Sweden, Norway, (on dad's side) and Denmark, English, Scottish and German ancestry, (mom's side). My great grandfather came to America from Sweden in the 1860's with his two sisters. There were too many Johnson's when he arrived so he changed his last name to an uncommon one, Lake.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Re: Ancestral background

England as far as I know going back to the 12th century on one side
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:38 PM

I'm a bit Cockney Yani (have you heard of that term)
And a lot of the Irish in me - proud of both
I know there's a bit of Spanish in there on me Grandmothers side - I should have asked more questions when I had the chance
yani
yani is female 

02-01-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
England as far as I know going back to the 12th century on one side
Absolutely fascinating Meg...I'm sure your family has some amazing stories to tell.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:39 PM

My ancestors on my fathers side came from Czechoslovakia,my father was born there and went to university in Lvov in the Ukraine from where he had to abandon his studies and join the Russian Army ..he fought with the Russian Army until he was captured by the Germans and then came over to England as a prisoner of war.
He never had any inclination to go back to his home city .
My mothers side I dont know a great deal about
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:43 PM

English Romany on one side, and when we did a bit of digging a black slave called Elizabeth in the 17th century who was bought out of slavery and settled on the south coast with her husband.
Bit of a mixed bag really.
yani
yani is female 

02-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I'm a bit Cockney Yani (have you heard of that term)
And a lot of the Irish in me - proud of both
I know there's a bit of Spanish in there on me Grandmothers side - I should have asked more questions when I had the chance
Yes I have heard the term before Patsy. I'd be proud of both too. Maybe another relative knows more about your ancestry...its sounds fascinating!
yani
yani is female 

02-01-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
English Romany on one side, and when we did a bit of digging a black slave called Elizabeth in the 17th century who was bought out of slavery and settled on the south coast with her husband.
Bit of a mixed bag really.
Julie you really have an interesting family history, don't you? I'd be wanting to know all I could about Elizabeth..I'd be consumed to know all about her!
yani
yani is female 

02-01-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
My ancestors on my fathers side came from Czechoslovakia,my father was born there and went to university in Lvov in the Ukraine from where he had to abandon his studies and join the Russian Army ..he fought with the Russian Army until he was captured by the Germans and then came over to England as a prisoner of war.
He never had any inclination to go back to his home city .
My mothers side I dont know a great deal about
Aysa...what a story to tell...really interesting that your father stayed in England...I would too if I could!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by yani ->
Julie you really have an interesting family history, don't you? I'd be wanting to know all I could about Elizabeth..I'd be consumed to know all about her!
Problem is when you go back that far there is little left especially as they were farm hands so didn't read and write.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top