Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 10:07 AM

Are we safer in the EU?

The Sunday Times reports our spy chiefs saying "Leaving the EU puts our security at risk"

well, following the attacks in Paris and Brussels it appears that they were partially funded from foreign nationals who were living in the Birmingham area.
These individuals will have been allowed into the UK because they had dual nationality one of which was Belgium. therefor they could freely enter the UK.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Re: Are we safer in the EU?

Originally Posted by Purdy ->
The Sunday Times reports our spy chiefs saying "Leaving the EU puts our security at risk"

well, following the attacks in Paris and Brussels it appears that they were partially funded from foreign nationals who were living in the Birmingham area.
These individuals will have been allowed into the UK because they had dual nationality one of which was Belgium. therefor they could freely enter the UK.
As I see it Purdy, here in Europe we all have a common interest to protect ourselves against terrorism, and for years (even before the EU) our security forces exchanged information and worked together on international crime.
I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever that should we exit the EU (supposedly a trading partnership) why it would have any effect upon our ability to continue to work together and exchange information in order to prevent an incident wherever it may happen. By leaving the EU, we are not pulling up the anchor and sailing into the Atlantic never to be seen again.
I, like many other people who will vote to leave the EU, have a great fondness for all the countries and the people in the membership, but that doesn't mean that I agree with the way the EU has manifested itself over the years, and the whole idea is not working and it's only a matter of time before it will collapse. Better we leave now than be dragged down with it.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 10:34 AM

What about those who are born and bred here? You can hardly blame the EU for them. It wasn't the EU that bombed Iraq, Libya and Syria and started the whole Muslim diaspora. The whole point of the EU is cooperation instead of conflict.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
As I see it Purdy, here in Europe we all have a common interest to protect ourselves against terrorism, and for years (even before the EU) our security forces exchanged information and worked together on international crime.
I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever that should we exit the EU (supposedly a trading partnership) why it would have any effect upon our ability to continue to work together and exchange information in order to prevent an incident wherever it may happen. By leaving the EU, we are not pulling up the anchor and sailing into the Atlantic never to be seen again.
I, like many other people who will vote to leave the EU, have a great fondness for all the countries and the people in the membership, but that doesn't mean that I agree with the way the EU has manifested itself over the years, and the whole idea is not working and it's only a matter of time before it will collapse. Better we leave now than be dragged down with it.
That is how I see it too OGF. Nobody actually knows what will happen if we leave and I suspect all these "top guys" are being persuaded to state their opinions in order to gain votes in the referendum. When the Common Market just dealt with trade agreements we were managing quite well, but as soon as they started to interfere with how we all ran our own countries the good idea went out of the window
Britain needs to return to being a strong, respected country and we will never do that whilst other countries are controlling our actions.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That is how I see it too OGF. Nobody actually knows what will happen if we leave and I suspect all these "top guys" are being persuaded to state their opinions in order to gain votes in the referendum. When the Common Market just dealt with trade agreements we were managing quite well, but as soon as they started to interfere with how we all ran our own countries the good idea went out of the window
Britain needs to return to being a strong, respected country and we will never do that whilst other countries are controlling our actions.
I agree with all you say there Twink.

Are we safer in the EU?

NO NO NO.

The EU has made us far less safe because it allows into OUR country jihadis and the rest who we cannot deport or do anything about.
I could go on a 5,000 word rant about this, but that would puck up my Sunday!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
What about those who are born and bred here? You can hardly blame the EU for them. It wasn't the EU that bombed Iraq, Libya and Syria and started the whole Muslim diaspora. The whole point of the EU is cooperation instead of conflict.
So we get cooperation from the EU do we moreover?
You are from this planet aren't you?
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
Countries in the EU and the Arab world supported the first war in Iraq, unfortunately the UN agreement was to liberate Quwait, in the Lybian bombing the French took part and the Italians allowed us to use their air bases.
when the uprising started in Syria, no one wanted to get involved in the beginning because Asads regime had Russian backing, therefore the Syrian people were never going to win.hence we have the problems besetting the EU now.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 11:32 AM

Are we safer in the EU? was the question.

Without a doubt we ar not. At the moment any terrorist living in the EU can enter the UK without any question as is their right. Outside the EU it will be that much harder for them to enter
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Fine but how much of our country do we actually own any more? Most of our industries have been sold off to foreign interests. Take the steel industry for instance. How much property in London isn't owned by foregeiners? We're not just controlled by other countries, we're owned by other countries.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 11:57 AM

It will make no difference whether we are in or out. Most of the intelligence in these things comes from the USA and us. We pass it on th the EU. The amount of intelligence traffic coming from the EU has no comparison to that which they receive.

The plus is with GCHQ , probably the most advanced listening post in the world being situated here it is the EU who will rely on us for their information.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top