Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 10:39 PM

The Search For A New Earth

'Second Earth' Proxima b could be an alternative for humanity.

Stephen Hawking believes we will have to populate a new planet within 100 years. The planet lies within the so-called “habitable zone” of the star Proxima Centauri, meaning that liquid water could potentially exist on the newly discovered world. Scientists think it may be similar in crucial respects to Earth.

Just been watching on BBC 2.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 10:52 PM

Re: The Search For A New Earth

Watched it myself, no need for a fully fledged Human Bod to go there, if that were even possible.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Just noticed in TV guide a second programme next week.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 11:08 PM

If they do manage to send a mission to colonise the planet I hope they leave religious dogma behind.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 11:15 PM

What, no fundamental stuff? Politics also need locking up.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

11-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Cannot see it happening in the time frame, by the time it becomes a reality humans may have evolved. Cyborgs may have the ability to adapt.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 09:29 AM

I have recorded it but not yet watched it.

I should have thought that they would have to be sure of the conditions on that planet before sending anyone there. Due to the distance involved, it must take centuries before any travellers could get there, which obviously would involve several generations on board the space ship. What would they do then, if they found it was not habitable?

A bit of a risk, I'd have thought.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

12-09-2017, 09:54 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/h...200-years.html

Scary or what!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

12-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have recorded it but not yet watched it.

I should have thought that they would have to be sure of the conditions on that planet before sending anyone there. Due to the distance involved, it must take centuries before any travellers could get there, which obviously would involve several generations on board the space ship. What would they do then, if they found it was not habitable?

A bit of a risk, I'd have thought.
The programme explains the research being done to overcome the many problems.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2017, 10:18 AM

Just watching that guy flying around in the centrifuge made me feel a bit woozy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top