Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 12:59 AM

Re: After brexit

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Seconds? So in Australia, even time has gone metric.

Give me a bit of time, and I'll try to work out what a 'KILOSECOND' equates to in real money.

Ah, just done it.

1 kilosecond = 16.66 recurring minutes

and 1 megasecond = 277.77 recurring hours or 11.57 days.

Perhaps some might find metric time more accurate!
Comprehension was never your strong point was it? If you look at times in, say, athletics they are measured down to tenths and hundreds of seconds. ie to the base of 10 which is what metric is all about.

I was at school in the UK. CGS and MKS were the units the UK chose to implement.

Australia went straight to SI units and (presumably) eventually the UK wandered there later.

Hope that helps.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:06 AM

Absolutely pointless and regressive to
re- introduce Imperial measurements .

As a tradesmen who is fluent in both I can assure you that metric is the best unit of measurement for working , even though I find both methods interchangeable.

Everyone under the age of 55 will be taught and trained in Metric and us oldies will soon be six foot ( 1800mm) under or scattered across some favourite beauty spot.

Brexit is about looking forward to a new and vibrant future not retreating in to the past.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 01:35 PM

I'm also `bi-numerate` being able to work with both sets of measurements depending on what's the easiest at the time. I still have the habit of stating things in £pounds and shillings in shops, for devilment mainly. Try saying here's fifty bob to a shop assistant when something is £2.50 and see the look of confusion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Comprehension was never your strong point was it?
Humour was never your strong point, was it?

Thankfully, some of us still possess some of it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm also `bi-numerate` being able to work with both sets of measurements depending on what's the easiest at the time. I still have the habit of stating things in £pounds and shillings in shops, for devilment mainly. Try saying here's fifty bob to a shop assistant when something is £2.50 and see the look of confusion.
Exactly my attitude as well. Yes, a great deal of fun can be had in that way!

I suppose that we older ones are of higher than average ability in being able to use two completely different systems interchangeably, whilst others struggle!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Humour was never your strong point, was it?
Nor yours apparently.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Go back to imperial ? I've never left it and if anyone says anything on metric I ask for the translation into English.

Most people know by now if it's not in imperial I'm not going to have any comprehension so automatically translate it for me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Go back to imperial ? I've never left it and if anyone says anything on metric I ask for the translation into English.

Most people know by now if it's not in imperial I'm not going to have any comprehension so automatically translate it for me.
Yes, the stock phrase is, "What's that in old money?"
ChrisSamsDad
New Member!
Eccles, UK
ChrisSamsDad is male 

21-12-2017, 12:14 PM

Wow, just wow. Cannot believe people would even consider something as catastrophically Luddite and backwards as reversing the use the metric system, (but then I thought that about Brexit).

The world is larger than your shed - standardisation of systems of measurement is essential for the worlds of science and engineering - and safety. (at least one plane crashed because of misunderstanding in whether the fuel requirement was litres or gallons (in this case US gallons)).

I Imagine a British spaceship trying to dock at the International Space Station, but there being a couple of millimetres gap due to insisting on measuring everything in feet and inches and having a Whitworth standard screw thread, leading to the deaths of all on board.

A more down to earth example - Britain post Brexit - our manufacturing industry making Imperial measured parts for the rest of the world (all metric, with the dishonourable exception of the US, who have a different standard even than Imperial). Do we make things that designed to fit with the rest of the world's standards and end up making liquids in containers that are 1.816165874 pints, or do we go it alone and make them in pints and give those foreign chappies no choice but to do the conversions and learn how great Britain is (or, more likely, buy elsewhere).

Standardisation is great for the consumer too - if you're in a shop where there are foreign goods (obviously not something Brexiteers would ever do - they buy only British Wine and Lard, not Olive Oil) - you can compare the prices of two things weighing the same or having the same volume, wherever it's from.
ChrisSamsDad
New Member!
Eccles, UK
ChrisSamsDad is male 

21-12-2017, 12:56 PM

In what way 'fussy' and less intuitive?
16 drams = 1 ounce
16 ounces = 1 pound
7 pounds = 1 clove
14 pounds = 1 stone
28 pounds = 1 tod
112 pounds = 1 hundredweight
364 pounds = 1 sack
2240 pounds = 1 ton
2 stones = 1 quarter
4 quarters = 1 hundredweight
20 hundredweight = 1 tonne

1000mg = 1 gram
1000g = 1 kilogram
1000kg = 1 (metric) ton

Also, they work well together, 1 cubic centimetre (of water) = 1mg = 1ml,
so you can use your weighing scales to measure volume (most thin liquids are the same mass as water) or your measuring jug to measure weight.

These are simple examples, but when you're doing mathematical equations involving other SI units, it's great not to have to have added complications of imperial measures.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top