Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Norweigen Fjords possible help wanted

Sue myself and my son are doing the above trip next year and Ok the Nikon 810 cameraI will take and my camcorder.
The question of which lens to take?

FX
Nikon24-70mm
Nikon 70-200mm both f 2.8
Nikon 50mm f1.4
Nikon 80-400 mm f5.5-5.6 is a bit on the big heavy side.

DX
12-24mm f4 lens

if anyone has done his trip please let me know which lenses would be best
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Re: Norweigen Fjords possible help wanted

Im not a camera buff but I do happen to live in Norway, so my thoughts are you will need something that will take in the whole scene that you are looking at, so a normal lens as I would call it. Now you will see many possible isolated farms etc, you may get a trip to a Glacier so you are going to need a telephoto lens to get some of those pictures, the detail of the farms will be out of reach of a normal lens and so will the sheer size of the Ice tongues of A glacier, but as you will of course know it will be a case of holding a camera steady for long distance photos, and I wouldnt be wanting to lug a tripod around. The 80x400 to me would be difficult to get good shots . I honestly dont think a wide angle lens would be worth taking
You will be spoilt for which shot to take especially if you have good weather.
I would be interested to know where you will be going to , my guess will maybe Bergen, Stavanger or Hugesund, Olden , Flam and maybe one other.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. Looks like the 24-70 and the 70 -200 then. No probs for distance shots the camcorder can handle that easily. Also in DX mode will boost the lens and the camera can crop in to very close as well.

We are going to
Hugesund
Flam
Aurlandsfjord
Sognefjord
Alesund
Andalsnes
Romsdalsfjord
Tronheim
Storf Jorden
Sunnylvsfjorden
Hellesyly
Geiranger
Olden
Innvikfjorden
Nordfjord

Please so don't ask me to pronounce them

i can mange this distance with the camcorder and take picture frames out of it. watch the whole video.

RIVER NILE

So farms no problem
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 11:04 AM

You don't say when you are going. I go in the winter and take a wide angled lens for the lights. I use a 16-300 lens as my standard lens.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Great Vidieo , looks like the Armada behind you

Places then that you will stop at :
Hugesand, Flam ,Alesund, Trondheim, Geiranger Olden. All the others are Fjords.

Haugesand you can see on foot, but you will probab ly be offered a trip. Flam , have to go on the Flamsbane railway, fantastic trip that links with the Bergen Oslo main line at Myrdal.If you are going in Summer it will be busy, but no doubt you will book it on the boat, Loads of Americans , Japanese, and now Chinese., but dont miss it.Alesund, another place to do your own thing, but maybe go to the Atlantic sea Park, I went long before it was finished, but now it is supposed to be well worth a visit. Trondheim, Nidaros cathedral, depends on what you like, its impressive , but I was a little disappointed in the interior. if there seems an interesting bus tour, maybe worth taking, but depends on what is on offer from there. Gerianger is really I just think the Fjord, but you will have to see. Olden, there you will be offered prob trip to the Brikstal Gacier. Its as close as you are likely to get to one, BUT its about £40 each round trip on the shuttle bus, see what the Boat quote for it.

Those are just some of the things that are available, but of course the cruise may offer much more.
The weather in Summer will not be cold !! but could be wet, thats why Norway is so green so take wet weather stuff. Waterproof shoes or something that will dry easily. Dont worry what you look like better to be dry than wet and miserable
Anything else i can tell you let me know.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Going in june so should be warm
Norway
i

20-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Yes should be best time of the year, can get to over 25c
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-12-2017, 11:35 PM

sorry not to have got back to you but I have been at the dentist this afternoon to have a tooth out and a plate fitted.

Thanks for the tips on the places to see. Flam railway top of list and we have to wait to see what the cruise people offer. We tend to book well befoe we go, infact as soon as the tours are announced. We booked this on the last cruise we were on, they offerred it to passangers before the general public so we could pick and choose what we wanted, a cabin with balcony high up near top deck
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Going in june so should be warm
I have only been in November and the most important piece of equipment was a good pair of gloves.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Fjords . . . .

See one, seen them all is the usual mantra here.

Very beautiful, very picturesque, but in all honesty, there's only so many mountains and waterfalls you can get excited about.

90% of your shots will likely be landscapes so wide angle, panoramic lenses are the order of the day. You might also want to take a zoom lens of some kind as there are invariably opportunities to take pictures of your ship looking down from the top of a mountain at the fjord bay.

Contrary to other posters views, I found the Flam railway extremely uncomfortable. It's an old rickety affair with hard seats and no air conditioning and in the warm weather we had it was utterly stifling. It's not all it's cracked up to be imo.

They stop the train half way along right by a waterfall and invite people to get out of their seats, walk along the train carriages to come and see it. Most on our trip didn't, just weren't interested to the shock and horror of the train staff. Why? Because passengers had seen nothing but waterfalls the entire trip.

Note that there is generlaly nothing at any of the "ports" on a Fjord trip. That's because they are at the base of surrounding hills and mountains. All there is are a few shacks, the odd souvenir shop, cafes etc. So in general, you are going to be organising a trip at each port in order to go anywhere or do anything.

The trip up Dalsnibba mountain is interesting! Thin winding track that coaches go up with perilous drops to the side. Not for the feignt hearted ! Good views at the top but only if the mountain is covered in clouds/mist.

Most things in Norway are uber expensive. Even a bowl of soup in a cafe ! It's a far cry from going to the Mediterranean where you can shop for bargains galore.

Do look out for shops that sell Christmas decorations though. Their stiff in this respect is beautiful and much of it isn't too expensive. You can get a lot of unique things there.

Bergen is a highlight stop of course. No need for any trips at this port. Just take the ship's shuttle bus (assuming one is laid on) into the town centre. Lovely place, pretty shops, lots of photo opportunities of that famous line of colourful shops and a fabulous fish market.

Overall the fjords trip is very nice, hugely picturesque, but expensive and forces you to take trips/excursions. For many people, you do it once, for the experience, but seldom go again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top