Join for free
Page 240 of 274 « First < 140 190 230 238 239 240 241 242 250 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 01:13 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Any room for Blue by Joni Mitchell? Or have I missed it? A top 1000 by me would include a few Joni albums.

Then again, if I did a top 1000 it would probably be skewed more towards folk and alternative country. As well as Led Zep, the Who (Who's Next?) and more singer songwriters like Townes Van Zandt and Josh Ritter.

It must have been an incredible amount of work you've put into this. First, separating the 1000 from the other 7 or 8000 albums you own, then deciding which order to place the rest. And you've admitted that you've made mistakes (Ryan Adams). Still, a top 1000 can never really be definitive as you remember old records and perhaps find some new ones.

I tend to listen to 4 hours of music a day (not including music in the background) and I split this up into two 2 hour sessions in the morning and the evening. I listen with really good headphones via my Google Music app and I listen intently and critically - especially the new songs. I perhaps listen to 15 new (to me) songs every day, and the other 45 are older favourites. That's how I discover new music - some of it will be forgotten as I don't like it, but others will and have gone on to become favourites with me. I then add these songs to a playlist and, when I've got the time, I'll look up the album(s) and give them a listen.

Of course you can never listen to everything - there simply isn't the time. Have you worked out how long it would take to listen to your top 1000 non-stop? I have playlists that are 80 hours long (I never get through them all, just put them on shuffle). Say an average album is 40 minutes long, times 1000 is a long time. I'd bet that you don't spend much time with the 7000 albums you discarded.
Hi Ffosse.
Great post bud, lots to go at...

Joni Michell I'm okay with to a point. I understand she is worshipped the world over for her songwriting and I agree she has written some great songs, but it's her voice that I'm not keen on. That high-pitched 'warbling' irritates me, which is a shame because her lyrics are amazing. I have three or four albums of hers though and "Blue" is in my list somewhere (though I'm not sure whereabouts as I'm at work atm). I much prefer Carole King from the same era as her voice is more 'natural'.

I mentioned a while ago about the compiling methods of this list, but it was one post in now thousands and I think it's time for another explanation:
I started all this just before Christmas. My collection is all on a 2TB external hard drive, most of the albums run A-Z but some are in specific 'genre' folders, so I had to go through the whole collection at least four times. I think that's where acts such as Ryan Adams (of whom I have eight albums) got mislaid somehow. Same with the Small Faces, Jimmy Buffett and Harry Chapin and probably some others too - but by then it was too late. I did make some last minute adjustments and even some as we were posting the albums in the early weeks, but the list what you see here is virtually as it was completed.
Anyway, from the 8000+ albums, plus some I don't own but have compilations of singles (so I added that band's parent album), I whittled it down to about 2000 before I then opened a Word document and typed them all out from scratch, which was a hell of a ballache! I would then give each album a rating A-F, then start at all the "A" albums and give a further "A1". "A2" etc etc, until the last ones had an "F5"...you get my drift?

Then it was a matter of looking at say, all the top A1 albums and putting that section into some kind of order, best to least favourite. The A2 etc. and I arrived at my main list.

Looking at it completed, I then picked out all of the acts who had several albums and assembled their albums too. If I decided that I liked one more than another that was positioned lower down, I juggled them around to put them in order too, eg. with Van Morrison, David Bowie etc, and especially Pink Floyd - I didn't want to bugger them up!

I started the list when I opened the thread on New Year's Day. Through five months almost, we are now on the verge of the final 20 albums. It's been a hell of a task as you know from my frequent rants, but it has been enjoyable too digging out videos and other information. The part I do enjoy most though is replying to your posts, which is why I have the bugbear of people who just 'view' but don't get involved...I never know if they are there or even interested. It's nice to talk!
It's down to people like yourself, Ffosse, Longdogs, PSmith, Moscow, Surfermom and many others contributing that I haven't ended the list and gone off in a huff! You've been great with your replies and I'll be adding the more information like as before to the rest of the albums now that we're on the home run.

As for pausing the list at the end of this month, well I'm hoping to complete it before my holiday, and it looks like a big probability that I can manage that.

I like your breakdown of how much you listen to your music too. Four hours is a lot of good songs in a day and I used to do the same. Now it's just when I get time.

And finally, if we listened to all 1000 in a row, how long would it take. Well, if we think of an album as being roughly 45 minutes long (give or take double albums or shorter records), that's 45,000 minutes which would equate roughly to 750 hours or 31 days. So about one month solidly, day and night!! Don't try this at home

Take care buddy
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Good explanation of how you arrived at the final list and placings within the list. I hope you've got that 2TB drive backed up elsewhere and in the cloud.

Yes, Joni's voice isn't for everyone - I think it suited her folk albums but got annoying when she was heavily jazz-influenced. A bit like Roy Harper - you either like it or you don't.

I predict London's Calling soon...I don't mean to scupper your list but I like to make a stab at what's remaining and whether you find a place for it.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 08:15 AM

I know I don't comment very often, Im not so into music and really cant contribute much at all. I know what I like but thats as far as it goes, I wouldn't even be able to name lead singers

But I have had a very evil thought

How about getting this all into print? Just for you, just to have forever

Pretty much the same format, Album, Album cover, your synopsis , others comments. It would be a lot of work, but not as much as this has been as you now have the list

Like I said, a pretty evil thought but what an achievement
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Good explanation of how you arrived at the final list and placings within the list. I hope you've got that 2TB drive backed up elsewhere and in the cloud.

Yes, Joni's voice isn't for everyone - I think it suited her folk albums but got annoying when she was heavily jazz-influenced. A bit like Roy Harper - you either like it or you don't.

I predict London's Calling soon...I don't mean to scupper your list but I like to make a stab at what's remaining and whether you find a place for it.
Thanks Ffosse, different tastes and so on

London Calling was at No.323 mate. It's a tricky one that album. If you disect it and look at those songs, half of them are probably not very brilliant, the others classics. hence the position here.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I know I don't comment very often, Im not so into music and really cant contribute much at all. I know what I like but thats as far as it goes, I wouldn't even be able to name lead singers

But I have had a very evil thought

How about getting this all into print? Just for you, just to have forever

Pretty much the same format, Album, Album cover, your synopsis , others comments. It would be a lot of work, but not as much as this has been as you now have the list

Like I said, a pretty evil thought but what an achievement
Hi Missy, thanks for calling in. As I said above, it's the ones who do actually post a comment which tells me that it's worthwhile doing this thread.

I'd love to have it all in print but there's no way I'm editing all this again. Once it's done that will have to be it. Never again!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Okay folks, let's get to that monumental Top 20 by the weeknd. But before we do we have these four albums to look at...

No.24: “Hell Freezes Over” by The Eagles (1995)
I mentioned when I posted Hotel California a few albums back that there was still one more Eagles album to come. What could that be, you may have pondered…we have had them all? Not quite.
In the summer of 1996 I was with a couple of mates watching the comeback tour from this best-selling American country-rock band on the tiers of Wembley Stadium. In 1980, Don Henley was famously asked the question: “When will the Eagles get back together?”. His curt reply was “When Hell freezes over!” Well, in the middle of summer in 1994 the band did just that, probably with the devil on their shoulder, but at Burbank studios in California and then on a couple of small gigs later, they had come up with four brand new songs and a live concert album from their efforts.
Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Don Felder and Timothy B. Schmidt had made a sublime record, perfect for this listener’s ears in every way from its five-men-on-bar-stools first half to a rockier second set. The interpretations of their classic songs were sounding better than ever. Below I’m posting three sets of videos from both this album and subsequent tours which feature The Eagles in their later years 1994-2015 as an overview of just how great this band were.

Sleeve image, other images:

Videos:

The late Glenn Frey's son on vocals there.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 02:00 PM

The Eagles in Floydy’s list (not solo albums):
024-Hell Freezes Over-1995
030-Hotel California-1977
116-Eagles-1972
192-One Of These Nights-1975
351-On The Border-1974
406-Desperado-1973
481-Long Road Out Of Eden-2007
573-The Long Run-1979
645-Eagles Live-1980
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-05-2018, 02:02 PM

No.23: “Led Zeppelin IV” by Led Zeppelin (1971)
From those thunderous opening John Bonham drums of ‘Rock And Roll’ to the dark and mysterious terror of ‘When The Levee Breaks’, Led Zeppelin’s fourth album is their masterpiece (in my view anyway). Not simply because it features ‘Stairway To Heaven’, but because it’s just a wonderful record. There’s never been a shortage of Led Zepp videos I’m pleased to say, so feat your eyes and ears on these:

Sleeve image:

Videos:

Led Zeppelin in Floydy’s list:
023-Led Zeppelin IV-1971
084-Led Zeppelin III-1970
145-Led Zeppelin II-1969
171-Physical Graffiti-1975
200-In Through The Out Door-1979
260-Houses Of The Holy-1973
300-Led Zeppelin-1969
382-Coda-1980
407-Presence-1976
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Time for two or three today:

No.30: “Hotel California” by The Eagles (1977)

The big one, but will it be The Eagles’ final entry in here?
Hotel California was a monster. With Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner having quit/left the band during the previous two albums (Leadon citing his distaste for rock music as his reason, Meisner having arguments with Frey and Henley (what’s new?), the band had the masterstroke of adding legendary rocker Joe Walsh to the line-up. This brought some much needed guts to the band’s music and the result was firstly on one of the best known guitar interplay duets ever recorded, the title song on here. But there were other superb moments too: Country song ‘New Kid In Town’, evergreen rocker ‘Life In The Fast Lane’ and ‘The Last Resort’’s glorious finale.
Loved this album. Obviously 'Hotel California' but also think 'New Kid in Town' was a superb song and sums up the sound of the seventies.

Incidentally, I recently had an electrician in, who up until a short while ago was a sound engineer for Joe Walsh.

Page 240 of 274 « First < 140 190 230 238 239 240 241 242 250 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top