Join for free
Page 250 of 274 « First < 150 200 240 248 249 250 251 252 260 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

At last it's time for.....

First one in a moment....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:58 PM

At No.10:

No.10: “Duke” by Genesis (1980)
Earlier Genesis is great of course, one of the biggest and best progressive rock bands, but Duke was the second album following Peter Gabriel’s departure and was long anticipated after three years of wilderness years for the band. With the first single ‘Turn It On Again’ hitting the UK Top 10, Duke swiftly followed it into the charts and debuted at No.1, a very well-deserved placing.
Establishing Genesis’ new trademark with a mixture of lengthy prog-pop epics and the new influence of Phil Collins’ penchant for writing a killer love song, the album is a classic in my book which is why I had to ensure this made my Top 10.
The record begins with ‘Behind The Lines’ (which appeared a year later in more mellow form on Collins’ solo debut Face Value) and merging into second single ‘Duchess’, the album never loses its stride and carries on with the excellent ‘Misunderstanding’, ‘Turn It On Again’ and the break-up classic song ‘Please Don’t Ask’. The grand finale of ‘Duke’s Travels/Duke’s End’ is one of the best things the band ever recorded, full of superb guitar licks and swirling keyboards and Collins’ vocals never sounded as ‘rock’. Duke is a faultless album. Get your headphones on and play the full album below LOUD.

Sleeve image:

Videos:

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Drum roll please.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Full album (audio):

Track listing:
Side one
1. "Behind the Lines"
2. "Duchess"
3. "Guide Vocal"
4. "Man of Our Times"
5. "Misunderstanding"
6. "Heathaze"
Side two
1. "Turn It On Again"
2. "Alone Tonight"
3. "Cul-de-sac"
4. "Please Don't Ask"
5. "Duke's Travels"
6. "Duke's End"

Personnel/production:
Tony Banks – keyboards, backing vocals, 12-string guitar, duck[b]
• Mike Rutherford - guitars, basses, backing vocals
• Phil Collins – drums, vocals, drum machine, percussion, duck
• David Hentschel - backing vocals, production, audio engineering
• Genesis

One more tomorrow
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-05-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Drum roll please.
Aww you would turn up right in the middle wouldn't you, LD?

Only joking...the drum roll was courtesy of Phil Collins
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 06:29 PM

How could I forget we'd already had Rumours? Still, I have no idea what the final 9 could be.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 06:40 PM

From another forum, I could post my top 35 Neil Young/Crazy Horse albums, but I suspect the interest would be quite low.

Another good site is besteveralbums which has thousands of lists of the best 1000, 500 and so albums then amalgamates them out - finding it's own best ever albums. That way it's less subjective having critics and ordinary peoples who make up the lists.

I used to be really into mp3 players (before they became nearly extinct) and one of their features (amongst many) was capacity at the time. For plenty of people 8GB was enough. Then there were 16, 32 and 64GB players; and players with microSD expansion slots.

Now we have phones with 512GB capacity and instant wireless streaming. We are really spoilt for choice on what devices to listen to music on: mp3 players, watches, phones, tablets, Pcs, gaming systems, home hi-fi etc.

One aspect I really don't like is ultra high resolution tracks on players that cost an arm and a leg ie. £1000 and upwards when you need spend far less (a cheap android phone plus an microSD slot is all you need.)

One thing I won't compromise on, though, is headphones and earphones - I must have paid a fortune but sound quality is important and depends on your 'phones more than anything else.

I've got a nice pair of B & O H9i headphones which are BT and wired and come with the option of replacing the battery which is really handy. I like to test out new (to me) albums on these as I know the sound will be stellar assuming the production of the album is. But I also like quite a bit of lo-fi grunge from the 90s, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Neutral Milk Hotel and even these sound great.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-05-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
How could I forget we'd already had Rumours? Still, I have no idea what the final 9 could be.
Well mate, there may be some rather obvious ones still to come and there have been a few hints along the way, and some artists perhaps could be weeded out by process of elimination but it's nice to have surprises!

From another forum, I could post my top 35 Neil Young/Crazy Horse albums, but I suspect the interest would be quite low.

Another good site is besteveralbums which has thousands of lists of the best 1000, 500 and so albums then amalgamates them out - finding it's own best ever albums. That way it's less subjective having critics and ordinary peoples who make up the lists.

I used to be really into mp3 players (before they became nearly extinct) and one of their features (amongst many) was capacity at the time. For plenty of people 8GB was enough. Then there were 16, 32 and 64GB players; and players with microSD expansion slots.

Now we have phones with 512GB capacity and instant wireless streaming. We are really spoilt for choice on what devices to listen to music on: mp3 players, watches, phones, tablets, Pcs, gaming systems, home hi-fi etc.

One aspect I really don't like is ultra high resolution tracks on players that cost an arm and a leg ie. £1000 and upwards when you need spend far less (a cheap android phone plus an microSD slot is all you need.)

One thing I won't compromise on, though, is headphones and earphones - I must have paid a fortune but sound quality is important and depends on your 'phones more than anything else.

I've got a nice pair of B & O H9i headphones which are BT and wired and come with the option of replacing the battery which is really handy. I like to test out new (to me) albums on these as I know the sound will be stellar assuming the production of the album is. But I also like quite a bit of lo-fi grunge from the 90s, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Neutral Milk Hotel and even these sound great.
Great post, Ffosse. Nice to have a bit of conversation with you guys actually, that's what makes this thread for me

I'm definitely going to check out that other forum mate, I've highlighted it for my own info. Lists are my thing, so I reckon it would be very interesting indeed. I'd like to see that Neil Young list by the way mate, see how it differs from my own...but I've probably got half that amount in this list.

Like also your tatses in headphones and MP3 music etc. I have everything now on a 2TB external hard rive the size of a VHS tape and if I lost that or it got broken I would lose it all!
I like a nice pair of cans too, but I now have tinnitus and the ringing afterwards is a pain in the ass tbh, but I suffer that in order to listen to some great music.

Thanks again for this, Ffosse. Good post
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

21-05-2018, 07:12 AM

If you haven't already, you should back up that 2TB drive onto another one and/or the cloud.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2018, 01:58 PM

If you haven't already, you should back up that 2TB drive onto another one and/or the cloud.
I keep meaning to get one mate, but never get around to it. I must make a mental note to do so

Page 250 of 274 « First < 150 200 240 248 249 250 251 252 260 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top