Join for free
Page 251 of 274 « First < 151 201 241 249 250 251 252 253 261 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Longdogs, your wait is over mate, I said this album was very high up…

No.9: “Third Stage” by Boston (1986)

…And there’s a reason for that. Quite simply it’s (in my view) the greatest FM/AOR/soft-rock, or whatever you call the genre brilliant bloody American guitar album ever made.
It’s very short at 36 minutes, but it says all it needs to say in 10 immaculately-produced songs. The subject matter is a kind of double entendre sharing two meanings – a rocket journey through space and the theme of sexual attraction and unyielding love – don’t ask me to explain!
Tom Scholtz was and is the founder of this troubles band way back in 1975, who with their first album came up with a record that introduced this particular genre (more about that in Post #100).
Second album Don’t Look Back in 1978 was more of the same high octane stadium rock and then things started to go awry. MCA made things very difficult for the band to continue and it wasn’t until eight years later that Third Stage finally appeared in ’86 [their fourth having to wait a further eight years until 1994].
But what an album this is. Beginning with the gorgeous love song ‘Amanda’ – a U.S. No.1 hit – Boston’s Third Stage used a kind of concept-style theme to interlink all the subsequent songs: ‘Cool The Engines’, ‘I Think I Like It’ and the side one closer reprise ‘My Destination’, and so on until we reach the final two masterpieces which make this album unbeatable for me…the song ‘Can’t’cha Say (You Believe In Me)’ with its five guitars playing in unison to build up to a glorious, wondrous sound and the closer ‘Hollyann’ which for me is equal to any big ballad ever made. Those soaring vocals of the late Brad Delp (who sadly took his own life some years ago; there is an interview recorded 2 days before his death below along with a documentary) are an easy match for Steve Perry’s. The song is heartbreakingly good, it’s what it means to be at a live outdoor concert and it’s a perfect closer to this perfect summer album.

Sleeve image, other images:

Videos:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 02:01 PM

Boston live concert, 1988:

Brad Delp documentary & interview:

Track listing:
1. "Amanda"
2. "We're Ready"
3. "The Launch:
a) Countdown
b) Ignition
c) Third Stage Separation"
4. "Cool the Engines"
5. "My Destination"
6. "A New World" (Instrumental)
7. "To Be a Man"
8. "I Think I Like It"
9. "Can'tcha Say (You Believe in Me)/Still in Love"
10. "Hollyann"
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2018, 02:03 PM

No.8: “Asia” by Asia (1982)
And on to another American-styled album of AOR power…except this is wholly British. “Supergroup” is a term which can sometimes be very loosely applied to bands whereby they have members of other groups. Not all of them are even that well-known, but in Asia’s case there was an exception.
Asia consisted of lead vocalist/bassist John Wetton (King Crimson), guitarist Steve Howe (Yes, Tomorrow), Carl Palmer on drums (ELP) and Geoffrey Downes on keyboards (ex-Buggles). The album was produced by Mike Stone (who also produced Journey’s “Escape” a year beforehand.
This classic album spent 11 weeks at No.1 in the U.S. and was a strong seller elsewhere. The critics absolutely hated it saying it was overblown and all that nonsense but the songs speak for themselves. From the majestic serpent on Roger Dean’s amazing sleeve to nine wonderful pieces of FM rock beginning with the two singles ‘Heat Of The Moment’ and ‘Only Time Will Tell’, the record is awesome in my book.
I saw this band on the second date of their first two concerts – Oct 28, 1982, Wembley Arena.

Videos:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2018, 02:04 PM

Asia live at Budokan, 1983:

Full album (audio):

Track listing:
1. "Heat of the Moment"
2. "Only Time Will Tell"
3. "Sole Survivor"
4. "One Step Closer"
5. "Time Again"
6. "Wildest Dreams"
7. "Without You"
8. "Cutting It Fine"
9. "Here Comes the Feeling"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 03:27 PM

Boston.

Thanks Floydy.

I was listening to this album again this morning through headphones whilst posting on the forum. I absolutely love this album and did notice the double entendres, although I thought that was just my dirty mind.

Interesting that the third track, The Launch, is so similar The Journey from Don't Look Back. I love the sound effects though and as you say, the guitar sounds on this are just mesmerising.

In some ways, it reminds me of War of the Worlds with it's space theme and it's easy to lose yourself when listening through headphones. I have heard some of these tracks because I once had a best of Boston CD but no idea what happened to it.

Amanda, also a great track and as you mention Can't cha say is just superb.

I am surprised that Boston were not more well known over here to be honest and I used to think that I was the only person here that had heard of them).

So glad to see this at number 9 (personally for me it would have been a little bit higher up but we are yet to see the rest so I might be surprised.

C'mon, where's Parallel lines?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Boston.

Thanks Floydy.

I was listening to this album again this morning through headphones whilst posting on the forum. I absolutely love this album and did notice the double entendres, although I thought that was just my dirty mind.

Interesting that the third track, The Launch, is so similar The Journey from Don't Look Back. I love the sound effects though and as you say, the guitar sounds on this are just mesmerising.

In some ways, it reminds me of War of the Worlds with it's space theme and it's easy to lose yourself when listening through headphones. I have heard some of these tracks because I once had a best of Boston CD but no idea what happened to it.

Amanda, also a great track and as you mention Can't cha say is just superb.

I am surprised that Boston were not more well known over here to be honest and I used to think that I was the only person here that had heard of them).

So glad to see this at number 9 (personally for me it would have been a little bit higher up but we are yet to see the rest so I might be surprised.

C'mon, where's Parallel lines?
It's so hard to place albums higher, there's always something better, but I think No.9 is a pretty commendable position.
Yeah, it's a superb, feelgood record isn't it...and your theory about it being a little like War Of The Worlds is a good comparison with the space them etc.
Play Asia next

Parallel Lines - No.17 mate. Loads of vids etc on that one.

I'm trying to get No.7 ready before the end of this afternoon, but my wife keeps barging around constantly wittering in my earhole and I lose track of where I get up to with the bloody text! Nearly done
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2018, 04:04 PM

Okay, managed it...

No.7: “The Final Cut” by Pink Floyd (1983)
I’ve spoken at length already about how this album was conceived when reviewing other 1980’s work by Pink Floyd, so I’ll keep the band’s personal squabbles history to a minimum here.
The Final Cut was virtually a Roger Waters solo album with a few odd bits of interest from David Gilmour but Nick Mason’s input was scant and Richard Wright had already left (or rather sacked by Roger) after The Wall tour in 1980.
So to this album’s music content, and it’s always been one of those Floyd albums that is overlooked, perhaps due to its stark aloofness to the band’s respected progressive-symphonic sound. It’s certainly symphonic though, with Roger employing a beautifully-played suite from some top class musicians, perhaps taking the place of Rick and keyboards which are virtually absent from the record.
The Final Cut is themed around war. It’s partly a semi-autobiographical account of Waters’ own experiences of never having a father to grow up with (killed in Anzio in 1944), which he has never really been able to lay to rest properly. It also deals with the big news at the time which was The Falklands war of 1983-83 and the album is heavily based around that. But the music itself is fabulous, if harrowing in places – the videos below show this too. The songs are verging on the despondent side, but they need to be that way as this is a reflective album of the horrors of that war and the resulting political scenario at the time.
Your usual Pink Floyd fan wouldn’t even go near this album, but for me I think it’s one of their very best pieces of work.

Videos:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2018, 04:05 PM

Personnel:
Pink Floyd
• Roger Waters – lead vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, rhythm guitar, synthesizers, tape effects
• David Gilmour – lead and rhythm guitars, co-lead vocals on "Not Now John", additional backing vocals
• Nick Mason – drums, tape effects
Additional musicians
• Michael Kamen – piano, harmonium
• Andy Bown – Hammond organ
• Ray Cooper – percussion
• Andy Newmark – drums on "Two Suns in the Sunset"
• Raphael Ravenscroft – tenor saxophone
• Doreen Chanter - backing vocals on "Not Now John"
• Irene Chanter - backing vocals on "Not Now John"
• National Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted and arranged by Michael Kamen
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 04:14 PM

It's my favourite Floyd album as I mentioned elsewhere.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It's my favourite Floyd album as I mentioned elsewhere.
It's certainly a brilliantly made record, Ffosse.
I can't yet disclose whether it's mine or not for obvious reasons

Page 251 of 274 « First < 151 201 241 249 250 251 252 253 261 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top