Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:27 PM

Re: The next round of negotiations.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well it will be a big problem in about ten years unless we get our act together. We will be in a cycle where all our infrastructure needs development and replacement as well as a growing elderly population to be maintained. That at the same time as fewer jobs for ordinary people because of automation.

Capitalism isn't going to go anywhere in that time. It will be for our children and grandchildren to sort. No wonder they shake their heads in bewilderment.
Again......that does not explain your earlier assertion that we,as a nation, could not afford immigration controls and brexit in the near future.

I assert that you were wrong to make that claim. You could claim back some credibility by accepting that.

FWIW......I accept that Gov't borrowing is too high at present and is unsustainable but that isn't the issue here!!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:36 PM

It's you who cannot explain how we can find money for everything we need to do to deliver Brexit and keep the rest of our national infrastructure going. Saying we can doesn't explain anything. We already have public services such as police, schools, social care, councils and the NHS fraying at the seams. How are you going to keep funding all that?

Where do you think the money will come from without trade agreements and without an agreement of how the City will function (which contributes about a quarter of our income)? Where's the strategy to deliver it all? Where are the sums to say it will all add up - do you have any facts yourself?

But that's ok if you don't understand how the economy works. You can't just keep borrowing from a bottomless pit without end or our credit rating will end up like that of Greece. But you stay right up there on your high horse and blame everyone else for the ensuing mess.

I'm not proposing we do continue to pay for everything as at present and I am not in the crystal ball gazing blame game....That's your forte, lol!

It amuses me how you know so little and yet can make such amazing doom laden predictions.

I'm looking forward to a post Brexit Britain and have to trust the Gov't to deliver a reasonable post Brexit trading relationship with the EU....Carping from the sidelines helps no-one.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Annies , you dont appear to me to be uneducated,your posts are very well put together and contain many interesting ideas. I just wondered where this person " Moscow " has been able to find facts that you are not an Educated person. Does he know what educational establishments you went to and what degree of qualifications you obtained. He seems to assume that many of us were brought up in the workhouse with no access to Education.
keep up the good posts
As well as my degree I am a qualified accountant. But I am aware that passing ludicrously difficult exams doesn't make me any more intelligent than anyone else here.

Perhaps I am more cautious about optimistic forecasts because I have regularly had to deal with such plans going awry and as part of my job have to bring people with big dreams back to economic reality when the figures don't add up long-term. The psychological drivers of the brexit movement are familiar to me. When people want something to happen they big it up. When plans go wrong they go quiet and point blame elsewhere. I'd like to see the underlying finances. But a recent CPD course said we can't predict the impact yet. This is a year before we officially leave. That's very worrying.

My main problem with brexit was that there was no plan and the government is fractured on future strategy. It's a massive risk to take with a great country and a strong economy. It's tragic.

My only hope is that the powers that be come to a pragmatic and sensible solution that won't bankrupt us.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
FWIW......I accept that Gov't borrowing is too high at present and is unsustainable but that isn't the issue here!!
That is precisely the issue. How do you suppose we will make the books balance with the additional pressure of all the changes required by such a process? We are talking of infinitesimal, intricate changes as well as all the renegotiation of trade in so many different sectors.

We cannot do more without increased borrowing. We cannot borrow more with no plan on how future generations will have to deal with the debt.
Moscow
Scotland

05-02-2018, 07:30 AM

As well as my degree I am a qualified accountant. But I am aware that passing ludicrously difficult exams doesn't make me any more intelligent than anyone else here.

Perhaps I am more cautious about optimistic forecasts because I have regularly had to deal with such plans going awry and as part of my job have to bring people with big dreams back to economic reality when the figures don't add up long-term. The psychological drivers of the brexit movement are familiar to me. When people want something to happen they big it up. When plans go wrong they go quiet and point blame elsewhere. I'd like to see the underlying finances. But a recent CPD course said we can't predict the impact yet. This is a year before we officially leave. That's very worrying.

My main problem with brexit was that there was no plan and the government is fractured on future strategy. It's a massive risk to take with a great country and a strong economy. It's tragic.

My only hope is that the powers that be come to a pragmatic and sensible solution that won't bankrupt us.
As I said before, it's not your intelligence at question just your emotive crystal ball gazing predictions based on your fears and insecurities that prompts you to make sweeping and negative statements that you can't possibly know will come to fruition.

The psychology of the Brexiteer is , no doubt, the mirror image of the Remainer.....Again, not actually relevant to where we are with the negotiations.

Your hope can't be argued with . It is everyone's hope. However the fear of not getting a 'good deal' is not a reason to abandon Brexit. In fact that fear you have should be the driving force to support our negotiators and supporting them in there efforts rather than continually undermining them and dancing to the EU's tune.

Btw, as an accountant you should know that figures purporting to show future transactions are generally b*shit. As an accountant you should know that the only figures that count are the ones that ending yesterday.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 04:20 PM

You misunderstand the context of the word 'uneducated' in my earlier post. It's not your fault. It's possibly a translation issue...assuming you are a Norwegian national.
In the context I used the word it was not referencing exam results achieved at educational establishments during her younger days.
In the context I used the word it was referencing her grasp of current fiscal responsibilities of Government.

Also you are being a hypocrite by srating that you don't find her uneducated based on your intuition from reading her posts and yet criticising me when you assumed I had done the same.......dear, dear Norway....At least try to be consistent!!
No you did not you just used the word Uneducated, if you meant it not to be that then why not clarify it, and really there was no need to use that word at all unless of course you think of yourself as a very well educated person. If that was so then the last thing you would do is accuse someone else of being uneducated. try putting your pompous attitude in the cupboard whilst on here
Moscow
Scotland

05-02-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
No you did not you just used the word Uneducated, if you meant it not to be that then why not clarify it, and really there was no need to use that word at all unless of course you think of yourself as a very well educated person. If that was so then the last thing you would do is accuse someone else of being uneducated. try putting your pompous attitude in the cupboard whilst on here
He says, in an incredibly pompous and condescending manner, lol!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 07:53 PM

He says, in an incredibly pompous and condescending manner, lol!
Take no notice - he's on mod duty again.......
Moscow
Scotland

05-02-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Take no notice - he's on mod duty again.......
Ha ha....... nice one!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-02-2018, 02:13 AM

As I said before, it's not your intelligence at question just your emotive crystal ball gazing predictions based on your fears and insecurities that prompts you to make sweeping and negative statements that you can't possibly know will come to fruition.

The psychology of the Brexiteer is , no doubt, the mirror image of the Remainer.....Again, not actually relevant to where we are with the negotiations.

Your hope can't be argued with . It is everyone's hope. However the fear of not getting a 'good deal' is not a reason to abandon Brexit. In fact that fear you have should be the driving force to support our negotiators and supporting them in there efforts rather than continually undermining them and dancing to the EU's tune.

Btw, as an accountant you should know that figures purporting to show future transactions are generally b*shit. As an accountant you should know that the only figures that count are the ones that ending yesterday.

Who do you suppose we are? It matters not a jot what we think. Except to us. This is not a football game. We don't have to be loyal supporters. In a democracy you shouldn't have to be a sheep.

In the '70s my parents generation voted into the EU (nb. I have no idea what or whether my parents voted). At the time there were plenty who voted against joining and they started a campaign which gained momentum until in 2016 we had another referendum. The original voting outcome was just as democratic as the last one. Some didn't like it then and some don't like it now. Just because there's a vote it doesn't mean that's the end of the story. Why should it be?

Not that I want another referendum. I'm just saying that all those who bray on about it being a "democratic" decision etc. need to take note that the original referendum was the same. People who don't like the outcome now have just as much right to express their disdain as all those who have been complaining about EU membership all these years.

The psychology aspect of brexit that I was referring to was that of the charging rhinoceros herd. Running in a thick-skinned, angry, pack. Believing their powerful horn makes anything possible and caring nothing for what's destroyed on the way as long as they get to stick it where it hurts.

Let's be clear that I am not saying anyone here who voted leave is a rhino. Not at all! It's simply a convenient metaphor for the movement as a whole rather than individual voters. Basically not a mentality that cares for details or outcomes as long as the target is reached that's all that matters. Rhinos have no plan, they are territorial, spontaneous, super-positive and enthusiastic. Also easy to enrage. Ok, rhinos are also near-sighted and misunderstood. They charge when they are afraid. Their skin is more sensitive than you'd think.

I don't need a crystal ball to know that not enough homework has been done. Perhaps you could explain about the plans we have and the super preparations we have made and how this will all lead to a successful economic outcome in under 25 years?

NB re forecasts - they are extremely important but only as good as the information and assumptions underpinning them. Rubbish in = rubbish out. That's why there is so much uncertainty right now. Nobody can work out what's actually going on!

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top