Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Almost lost Holly while out!

In a blinkin’ Blizzard, almost, at the end of our walk and close to home, she does a runny poo by the school fence. So there I am, scrabbling for the bags, paper and poop scoop. And her lead slips from my wrist!!! Nooooooooo!!!!

Off she goes. I’m running after her, screaming her name, poop flying everywhere from the scoop, umbrella and bag abandoned on the path.

She kept stopping, then going off but when she entered the road (again, noooooooo!), I managed to step on her lead and get her back. Then had to finish clearing up. Had to leave some as conditions were pretty atrocious.

Then indoors, even though she’d weed outside, did it again on the lounge carpet so I had to wash that area.

Felt like crying afterwards, as I couldn’t bear the thought of losing her. I do think, though, she’d have headed home. In future I will pack her favourite liver treats. And work on her recall.

I have also just ordered the Dorwest tree bark powder (to firm up stools). The lady I may employ as a pet sitter swears by it. But won’t get it till Monday.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Re: Almost lost Holly while out!

That was close Jazzi.

At least you know she can't be trusted yet to let loose, as she is not coming back on command.

Hope you have both calmed down now.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 07:03 PM

Jazzi, happy that in the end you got her back....it is certainly panic time when things like that happen.

Once my dog got let out by someone that opened our gate. I was calling her back in and noticed her gone. She was a smart dog and I found her by tracing the route we always took on our daily walk.

Guess she saw the open gate as a way to walk herself.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:03 PM

Oh dear, what a little monkey Jazzi, scary stuff.
Glad you managed to catch her in time.

Years ago I used to use the Tree Barks from Dorwest for my old GSD that had stomach problems. Don't think it ever stopped the problem to be honest, but it is supposed to soothe the tummy anyway.

There are places cheaper than Dorwest, but I would advise to stay well away as they are mostly only white flour with only a tiny percentage of the actual Slippery Elm in them.
It does smell pretty strong, so I hope she likes the smell and it doesn't put her off her dinner! Worth a try though.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Many years ago queenie slipped out the front door which had been left ajar , we lived on a busy main road , I ran leaving front door open , shouting her name , she had gone , I ran our walk route and found her still on the pavement , I carried her home , she was a lump , I almost cried thinking I'd lost her .

Very upsetting at the time . ( In memory of Queenie who lived 16.5 years a cavalier king Charles spaniel , full of love
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Gosh that's always scary, last one did it to me was Betty on her second ever walk, right next to a road. Ended up walking home with her dancing a few feet ahead of me only managed to round her up at the front door. I could have cried top that day. But we all lived to tell the tale or tail
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:40 PM

That was real scary its enough to give you a heart attack.A few months ago Bobby got out the front door,I chased after him but didnt take his lead,he kept stopping to sniff but every time I got near him he was off again.I finally caught him but having no lead I couldnt get him to walk back home,a woman put her handbag straps round his neck and another woman went to my house to get my son,who brought his collar & lead
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:52 PM

Has anyone ever had an escapee cat. My Rocky was a big boy and we had a small hole in the screen. A chipmunk came on the porch and little hole turned into a Rocky size hole.

Being an indoor cat he did not know what to do as it was raining so he stood still long enough to get scooped.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Oh dear, Jazzi...that must have been so frightening for you. I have had Gracie do similar to me...and I had treats in my pocket. I chased her through mud, from one backyard to another...I was exhausted and she was still clowning around. I finally caught her the same way that you did...managed to step on her leash...

It's true, they can be little rascals but boy, do we still love them, eh?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Has anyone ever had an escapee cat. My Rocky was a big boy and we had a small hole in the screen. A chipmunk came on the porch and little hole turned into a Rocky size hole.

Being an indoor cat he did not know what to do as it was raining so he stood still long enough to get scooped.
One of my cats once shot out of the back door (through a gap smaller than her head) and chased off a fox.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top