Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 08:12 PM

Vpn

A recent thread that has been locked got me thinking.

I do use them and some people I know do for various reasons need to hide their ISP

Am happy to use Pirate Bay without a VPN but do get a few virus which a VPN cannot stop.

But I use one on my I pad when I go to America.... so for example I can watch BBC and the Poker sites I play on in England which is banned in America.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 08:17 PM

Re: Vpn

What is VPN Galty?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 08:19 PM

A bit like a third party proxy I think Mags ... it's re-routes and masks the original source.

Some are rife with viruses.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Aah... thanks Morti
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

14-03-2018, 09:35 PM

Off topic posts have been removed
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Off topic posts have been removed

Thank you Mags
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:15 PM

It's every person's right to privacy especially on the internet. It's not right that ISPs and governments record every citizens' browsing habits, streaming or emails. For this reason, I use VPNs where secure https websites aren't available (like this one for example), not because I'm up to no good but because I take my privacy very seriously.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
A bit like a third party proxy I think Mags ... it's re-routes and masks the original source.

Some are rife with viruses.
No they aren't. A VPN is merely a secure tunnel between you and the website you are browsing. Any viruses or malware will come from the website itself, not the VPN.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:30 PM

I meant the third party proxy can be rife with viruses not VPN.
I've never used a VPN as I'm above board. Nothing to hide that the powers that be aren't already logging by other means anyway.
Regarding government tracking ... Does using a VPN actually make much difference in the end, as your internet provider is also tracking all your movements aren't they?
I believe, but could be wrong, that a court order is needed but they can be forced to relinquish your private data. Nothing is private on the web anymore.

Isn't this site secure then Judd?
I wasn't sure what you meant by using a tunnel and masking your IP for here. It does provide a 'false' source of origin doesn't it?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

14-03-2018, 10:50 PM

A VPN routes all of your internet traffic through a remote server which can be located in any country in the world using a https encrypted connection between your PC and the remote server and the remote server and the website you are viewing. The encrypted connection is like the one you use when on-line banking and can't be viewed by anyone except you. It would be a poor affair if banking connections could be monitored/hacked by your ISP.

Most if not all paid VPNs do not keep logs of your internet activity and will not under any circumstances give those logs to the authorities if they did actually exist, it would be economic suicide.

Since the Wikileaks revelations, more and more websites are using encrypted connections. Programs such as Whatsapp and Skype have end to end encryption also and will NOT remove that facility no matter what the threats from governments. That is what governments are frightened of, a totally encrypted internet, because they can't keep an eye on us. Why else do you think that the government want to get broadband in every home in Britain? It's not because of any altruism on their part or the desire to see their citizens enjoying video/music streaming, it's purely so they can keep tabs on everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top