Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Re: Cleaning Wooden Utensils

Found this

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how...tensils-206883
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:19 PM

I stick mine in the sink overnight with some bleach that is chopping board/ spatulas.
Then rinse/dry.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Found this

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how...tensils-206883
That's a very good article ..... I'll bookmark it for my next clean ......
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Hi everyone. Omah, I tend to use wooden spoons and spatulas a lot in cooking/baking. They are a godsend. Wooden spoons are the only utensil that one can leave resting in the frying pan whilst cooking things like caramelised onions as it doesn't heat up like stainless steel etc.

I wash them the same as other utensils but never put them into a dishwasher (as my SIL once informed me not to do) A, because I don't possess a dishwasher apart from HWMO, and B. I was informed it would ruin them. I just wash them as I said, let them air dry but rub a little lemon juice on them if I have been cooking onions etc or anything that would leave a strong smell on the wood.They're still as good as when I first bought them and no dark stains or marks on them.

P.S my SIL said I should rub a little oil on them maybe once a month to keep them pristine but I've never bothered.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 05:04 PM

just stick mine in the dishwasher,after washing straight into draw.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi everyone. Omah, I tend to use wooden spoons and spatulas a lot in cooking/baking. They are a godsend. Wooden spoons are the only utensil that one can leave resting in the frying pan whilst cooking things like caramelised onions as it doesn't heat up like stainless steel etc.

I wash them the same as other utensils but never put them into a dishwasher (as my SIL once informed me not to do) A, because I don't possess a dishwasher apart from HWMO, and B. I was informed it would ruin them. I just wash them as I said, let them air dry but rub a little lemon juice on them if I have been cooking onions etc or anything that would leave a strong smell on the wood.They're still as good as when I first bought them and no dark stains or marks on them.

P.S my SIL said I should rub a little oil on them maybe once a month to keep them pristine but I've never bothered.
I found that mineral oil improves the appearance dramatically (before on the left/after on the right):

doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 05:13 PM

if you have to do that before each time you use them,i would change to somin easier
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
if you have to do that before each time you use them,i would change to somin easier
A regular user would have to perform the cleaning process only once a month, an infrequent user 2 or 3 times a year .....

Of course, an alternative is just to buy new ones when you can taste curry in the custard .....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Job done .....

I treated the spoons with baking soda, the spatulas with distilled vinegar and then oiled both. Drying the spoons after treatment took the most time.

The end result was neutral-smelling utensils with distinct grains .....

Next month (or thereabouts) I'll add lemon juice to the cleaning agents .....
I found that mineral oil improves the appearance dramatically (before on the left/after on the right):

A regular user would have to perform the cleaning process only once a month, an infrequent user 2 or 3 times a year .....

Of course, an alternative is just to buy new ones when you can taste curry in the custard .....
You take direction well Omah
Those utensils look nicely refinished.
Good job.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top