Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 12:30 PM

A New Use for my Phone Line?

In those halcyon days before Australia gave the world WiFi, when my kids were still at school, I wired up my house to put at least one Ethernet connection, a TV Aerial and a phone connection in each room.

Since then technology has moved on and while the ethernet and TV connections are still viable the phone line is not used at all due to mobile, VOIP and cordless phones.

Remembering that every phone socket in the house is connected in parallel to every other phone socket in the house - what can I use it for?

Every room has something similar to the above except that some rooms only have one ethernet connection on a single plate with the aerial and phone. In those days I tended to make use of what ever I had available as you can see by the different styles of plate. (That photo is a left over from when I did have a phone line - top right yellow wire.)

It seems such a pity to waste all that copper - any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.04.02_21h17m52s_002_.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	5589  
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Re: A New Use for my Phone Line?

How about connecting a speaker to a socket in one of rooms and feeding the output of a music source (CD/stereo player) into one of the remaining sockets, you could then pipe your music from one room to the others.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
How about connecting a speaker to a socket in one of rooms and feeding the output of a music source (CD/stereo player) into one of the remaining sockets, you could then pipe your music from one room to the others.
I fitted ceiling speakers in my bathroom (in my last house) and could switch it from the living room. Great listening to the radio or cds in the morning.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The problem with that is that there are only two wires I would need three. Also I have my stereo speakers in two areas where I do listen to music (loud). In any other room I can stream via the TV or computer, and their associated sound systems, from my server where all my music and videos are now stored.

I don't need an intercom because it is a single storey wooden house so you can shout

It needs a really odd ball idea I suppose.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

03-04-2018, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I fitted ceiling speakers in my bathroom (in my last house) and could switch it from the living room. Great listening to the radio or cds in the morning.
Ha ha the laundry, the shower and the toilet are the only three rooms not wired up!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 11:01 AM

What about some sound to light. You could have a proper party in all rooms.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top