Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 01:39 PM

Bailiffs Aggressive Behaviour

Can't think of anything more worthy that an investigation of these little Hitler's.

Nasty people, usually with an enormous chip they carry on their own shoulders , and ready to make life unbearable for far too many people in genuine difficulties.
There's got to be a mental problem with such people willing to do such a horrid job and being paid so little to do so .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43612683

Concerns persist over bailiffs using aggressive behaviour to pursue debts despite a legal crackdown, a Ministry of Justice (MoJ) report has found.

New laws were introduced in England and Wales in 2014 aimed at protecting people with debts from unfair tactics.

But the MoJ review reveals "lingering concerns" about the behaviour of a minority of bailiffs.

Justice minister Lucy Frazer said aggression would "not be tolerated" and called for victims to give evidence.

Bailiffs are typically used by creditors, on the authority of the courts, to seize property if people with debts fail to pay what they owe.

Ms Frazer said that although the majority of bailiffs act "professionally and within the rules", the MoJ had been told by those "working on the front line" that intimidation continued in some cases.
◾Concerns over councils’ use of bailiffs
◾Firm chases wrong couple for £4k debt
◾Debt: 'I was up to my neck in it'

A call for evidence would be launched "shortly" to investigate claims.

"We will identify where the problems are and, if necessary, ensure all bailiffs operate professionally and with proper respect and sensitivity," Ms Frazer said.

The 2014 reforms included banning bailiffs from entering homes at night, using physical force against people with the debts and preventing them from entering home when only children are present.

The laws also stopped bailiffs from taking vital household essentials such as cookers, microwaves, fridges or washing machines.

The MoJ review found that since the bailiff reforms progress had been made, including in terms of debtors being aware of their rights.

Last year a report called Taking Control, compiled by charities, also claimed that some bailiffs continued to abuse their powers and regularly used intimidation.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Re: Bailiffs Aggressive Behaviour

i watch the baliffs on tv -from the high courts they seem ok as they go -but i dont think anyone should be able to enter your home while your away- if the goods are outside thats different to tow away ! its a scrary thing to have them knocking over a debt' getting into debt sometimes cannot be helped but if u do ignore it -it dont go away always seek help
and sometimes they give options of payment - yes they can be aggressive as so can the owner of the debt .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maddy ->
i watch the baliffs on tv -from the high courts they seem ok as they go -but i dont think anyone should be able to enter your home while your away- if the goods are outside thats different to tow away ! its a scrary thing to have them knocking over a debt' getting into debt sometimes cannot be helped but if u do ignore it -it dont go away always seek help
and sometimes they give options of payment - yes they can be aggressive as so can the owner of the debt .
I watch that sometimes and I think they are called sheriffs. they do seem quite fair but I reckon that's because they have cameras on them.

-------------------

Whether bailiffs are a necessary thing or not, I could never do the job, bringing even more misery to people already have enough of it. I have dealt with bailiffs (a long time ago now) and they were complete scumbag thugs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 02:36 PM

I'm quite surprised at the claims they must have changed a lot since our dealings back in the 60s 70s they were always really nice when they came round about my dads debts. Always treated my nan and us kids so kindly. They may have been tougher on him but those around him were treated very well.

At the end of the day they had a job to do and it was up to him to pay back the debt.

We've had debts occasionally ourselves but never let it get to bailiffs stage just by being honest and open and keeping our promises to pay back even if it was a little at a time. Most places are just wanting the money they don't want to destroy anyone.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 03:39 PM

Hi

I very rarely lend Money.

When I do,I expect it back.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 05:22 PM

Answer don't get into debt, simple
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Answer don't get into debt, simple
Or blow their heads off with a shotgun. Much more satisfying.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:08 PM

Some people can't help getting into debt, but there is obviously still a problem as the report drawn up would indicate the new rules had been introduced to stop the intimidation by bailiffs in the first instance ( after a long time) and still the practice continue . That won't be in one or two cases either even though they say 'some' .

Has anyone thought of how much it costs to bury someone ? Has anyone thought about how depression can see financial problems escalate out of control ?
It's not so easy for some to avoid the spiral of ever increasing debt once it starts , and yes they have to pay back but should also be treated with sensitivity at times of difficulty.
I doubt the TV programmes threw too much light on reality.
I find it difficult to understand how the general public find food banks an appalling situation, but the same folk criticize those who get into debt. It's all a part of the same tragic tale.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by puddle duck ->
some people can't help getting into debt, but there is obviously still a problem as the report drawn up would indicate the new rules had been introduced to stop the intimidation by bailiffs in the first instance ( after a long time) and still the practice continue . That won't be in one or two cases either even though they say 'some' .

Has anyone thought of how much it costs to bury someone ? Has anyone thought about how depression can see financial problems escalate out of control ?
It's not so easy for some to avoid the spiral of ever increasing debt once it starts , and yes they have to pay back but should also be treated with sensitivity at times of difficulty.
I doubt the tv programmes threw too much light on reality.
I find it difficult to understand how the general public find food banks an appalling situation, but the same folk criticize those who get into debt. It's all a part of the same tragic tale.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Some people can't help getting into debt, but there is obviously still a problem as the report drawn up would indicate the new rules had been introduced to stop the intimidation by bailiffs in the first instance ( after a long time) and still the practice continue . That won't be in one or two cases either even though they say 'some' .

I doubt the TV programmes threw too much light on reality.
Well said.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top