Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:23 PM

Re: I will be a nervous 'mum' next Tuesday!

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Thank you BF, I WILL follow my heart, and my head, and do what is best for me. I know some of you mean well, but please, I am asking you nicely, take a step back with your harsh comments. Thank you.

My dog, my choice.
Yes, your dog your choice Jazzi, (no choice for the dog) but please think what is best for your dog not just for you. I certainly would let her have a season and then spay three months after (it makes complete sense to me when her hormones will be stable and she has had time to mature). No harm will come to her if she waits another few months. Even if letting her have her season causes you a little inconvenience, that amounts to nothing in terms of her lifetime.
Sorry for the plain speaking, but your dog should come first and IMO spaying should not be for the convenience of the owner.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:28 PM

Okay, let me make one thing clear. I put up a post stating Holly was booked in for a spay next week. I didn't ask for, or expect, criticism, and biased opinions.

I am getting very, very disillusioned now with this forum, and on that note, am taking a break.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 09:48 AM

Jazzi she's your baby and you and your vet know her better than us. Personally even if I ask advice here I still do what I and my vet decide is best.

There are often things we all do for years then suddenly it becomes obvious it's better to do it another way. The idea of spaying after a season may be one of them, I have no idea at the moment but any things possible.

If I was having a male I'd keep him entire all his life after our experience last time, but a girl is different and the protection this gives them is immense. When you do it is up to you what's important is its done.

Now I really hope it all goes well, I'm sure it will. I am betting you are more worried on the day than she is. She's a happy girl from what you say and that won't change, she will be happier after a few days.

Good luck let us know how it goes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Jazzi she's your baby and you and your vet know her better than us. Personally even if I ask advice here I still do what I and my vet decide is best.

There are often things we all do for years then suddenly it becomes obvious it's better to do it another way. The idea of spaying after a season may be one of them, I have no idea at the moment but any things possible.

If I was having a male I'd keep him entire all his life after our experience last time, but a girl is different and the protection this gives them is immense. When you do it is up to you what's important is its done.

Now I really hope it all goes well, I'm sure it will. I am betting you are more worried on the day than she is. She's a happy girl from what you say and that won't change, she will be happier after a few days.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

I think that you have to take into account that vets are not totally altruistic they do these things for money .
The operation for a male dog is much simpler and rarely leads to complications .
Unneutered dogs can breed indiscriminatory and there are far too many unwanted dogs in the country as it is .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:07 AM

The key is find a vet you trust. And research as much as you can. I didn't realise how castration affected a nervous dog until we did it to one. I can stop a male breeding easy enough with out castrating him. The medical reasons for castration aren't there either unlike the reasons for spaying a girl.

Vets are going to spay I can't imagine they are telling anyone to spay early for the money as they will get it anyway albeit a few weeks later. That makes no sense at all.

Jazzi knows her dog and her vet. That's enough for me.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:37 AM

There are definite benefits to getting a make dog castratated if there is no intention to breed from him.
Entire male dogs roam and are very clever at getting away after a bitch in heat .
Some also mark their territory by peeing all over th eplace including furniture .
They can become more aggressive .
They also have an increased risk of testicular cancer .
Castrating doesn't not in my experience change a bold dog into a nervous one .In fact I have never known of such a case .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-04-2018, 10:50 AM

It can change a nervous dog into a nervous aggressive dog. I never mentioned a bold dog.

as for roaming not on my watch they don't. Keep them on a lead or in a secure garden. That goes for girls and boys. Dogs roaming are illegal in most areas.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 10:52 AM

I am sorry Jazzi is cross and is taking a break and feel I have contributed to this decision. However, she did say she felt wicked inflicting it on Holly, but knows it has to be done and was of the opinion that the sooner the better. From this I formed the impression that Jazzi was not sure. Jazzi has had more than a few problems with Holly as a puppy and has had concerns about her health and how robust she is (or was) and we have PM'd each other about it on one or two occasions. Apart from my belief that bitches are better to have a season before they are spayed I took this history into account when I posted. I will desist from giving Jazzi further advice as she is obviously annoyed with some of the responses folks have made and I have no wish to add to it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It can change a nervous dog into a nervous aggressive dog. I never mentioned a bold dog.

as for roaming not on my watch they don't. Keep them on a lead or in a secure garden. That goes for girls and boys. Dogs roaming are illegal in most areas.

No it can't .
I have had many dogs castrated as I worked as a volunteer in humane shelters all over the world .
Castrating doesn't make dogs nervous .
Maybe yours was a one off and would have been nervous anyway .
Nervous dogs can be aggressive .
Of course we know you are perfect Julie and would never let a dog roam but others are less infailible .
Most male dogs don't know that's it's illegal to roam and will do it anyway .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Don't we all feel wicked when we put them through medical things I certainly do, I always think I'd rather it was me at least I understand why things are happening.

Jazzi had a difficult start, I can see why she's fed up, each time she posts about her little fur ball she gets someone thinking they know better than her. All she wanted and needed was a virtual hug to get her through the ordeal not a thesis on why she was wrong.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top