Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:29 PM

Re: Fruit.

Oops I thought this was a thread about Keith Vaz..sorry
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
its because its picked before its ripe and kept in cold storage for months

I just don't bother with fruit now, full of sugar anyway
I think there has been some scaremongering in the media about fruit. The sugar in fruit is natural sugars mainly fructose which isn't harmful unless of course eaten in huge quantities.

I'm a firm believer that we are meant to eat things that are grown from the ground and from trees.

Fruits contain large amounts of important nutrients, including fibre, vitamins and minerals.

I like to incorporate it into my diet but obviously we are all different and it's about choice.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:45 PM

I'm not a real lover of apples, however, like Summer, I really do like Pink Ladys, I think they are the elite of the apple varieties. I like pears when they have gone soft and you bite into it and it all dribbles down your chin lol. Satsumas are nice because they don't have pips in.

Water melon from the fridge is lovely, especially when you are thirsty on a hot day.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I think there has been some scaremongering in the media about fruit. The sugar in fruit is natural sugars mainly fructose which isn't harmful unless of course eaten in huge quantities.
The notion of "natural" sugars is a pure myth. Sugar is sugar. What matters is how much sugar you are ingesting and more crucially, what other things you are ingesting along with it.

Some science.

The basic "simple sugars" are as follows (with their chemical formulae):

Glucose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6
Fructose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6
Galactose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6

The formula means they have 6 Carbon atoms, 12 Hydrogen atoms and 6 Oxygen atoms). They differ only in the specific arrangement of those atoms.

Most fruits and Vegetables contain roughly the same mix of Glucose and Fructose.

The Glucose part is processed by the generation of insulin and is what affects your blood sugar levels. Hence Glucose is known as "Blood sugar".

The Fructose part is processed in your liver using enzymes so no insulin is involved there but it is this fructose element that is often stored away as fat if your body has no immediate need for the energy it provides.

Galactose enters the liver, where it is mainly converted to glucose anyway. Galactose ingestion results in lower blood glucose and insulin levels than glucose ingestion itself.

Now let's look at the other sugars of which there are:

Lactose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11
Sucrose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11
Maltose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11

Disaccharide basically means these molecules have 2 sugars in them which is why the chemical formula is double that of the simple sugars. They break down as follows:

Lactose = glucose + galactose
Sucrose = glucose + fructose
Maltose = glucose + glucose

Lactose of course is naturally found in milk.
Sucrose is common sugar from cane or beets
Maltose is found in germinating seeds

All of which serves to tell us that sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. So it is imo VITAL to read the labels on products you buy and look at the Carbohydrates part and the "of which sugars" element.

Remember that 4g of sugar is equivalent to 1 teaspoonful.

What is really important is to ingest sugars with plenty of fibre. If you just eat sugars on their own, the body will process them quickly and given that the body has no immediate use for all the energy produced, the body goes and stores it away as fat instead. Not what you want.

If you eat fibre at the same time the body processes it all slowly so the energy produced from the sugars is released slowly throughout the day and your everyday activities (walking, standing, lifting etc) will use up that energy and so it won't be converted to fat.

This is why food education is so vital and why diets and slimming clubs are relatively useless.

An average large apple contains about 20g of sugar which is about 5 teaspoonsful. That sounds horrific but you have to remember that the apple also contains fibre so an odd apple is fine to eat.

A 1 ltr carton of all natural organic apple juice however is all the sugars and none of the fibre which IS horrific. In fact there are about 21 teaspoonfuls of sugar in that carton and very little fibre. Thus fruit juices in general are a very unhealthy option. That morning glass of orange juice or apple juice is not helping people. Pure sugar which will be converted to fat.

I personally choose to eat all fruit complete as nature provides it and I frequently eat it with yoghurt and plenty of home made granola which contains plenty of fibre.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top