Join for free
Page 25 of 52 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Re: Jerusalem

In my own experience Jerusalem is a peaceful city where everyone lives in harmony despite their different religions. I don't think the inhabitants want that to change as it's special to all three religions.

But I don't think it should be capital. There's no need for that. It's a religious and cultural centre and doesn't need to be an administrative centre.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But I don't think it should be capital.
Why not?

Just because terrorists and their sympathisers don't like it?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 03:13 PM

I have always assumed that any independent country regardless of its politics has the right to change it's capital city if it wishes - whether this be North Korea; Yemen or Israel? - I don't understand how we believe we can TELL Israel what to do in this regard? Can anyone or should anyone tell UK what to do about it's own capital??

simple answers on lined note paper in long hand will suffice!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 04:50 PM

No use pretending that Israel is the same as other independent countries. It's not. Jerusalem isn't an ordinary city as half of it is still considered illegally invaded by the international community. So while things are as they are there is no need to make this move.
AnnonyMoose2
New Member!
US of A
AnnonyMoose2 is female 

21-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Just chiming in here my two cents and all. Obama and Clinton were two of the previous Presidents who agreed Jerusalem should be the capital but never had the gumption to act on it, Trump just put it into practice.

I do wonder what other countries would do if thousands of rioters stormed their borders because there is nothing to indicate that they would be peaceful, it is obvious that if Israel allowed them in many Israelis would be killed. I believe the Arabs are lucky that Israel does not have the same policies as Hamas such as wanting people to killed martyrs, even children.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I have always assumed that any independent country regardless of its politics has the right to change it's capital city if it wishes - whether this be North Korea; Yemen or Israel? - I don't understand how we believe we can TELL Israel what to do in this regard? Can anyone or should anyone tell UK what to do about it's own capital??
Me! Londonistan should no longer be the capital city of the UK because it no longer represents the majority of British people!

I'd nominate York. It was the capital in the days of Emperor Severus anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-05-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
No use pretending that Israel is the same as other independent countries. It's not. Jerusalem isn't an ordinary city as half of it is still considered illegally invaded by the international community. So while things are as they are there is no need to make this move.
What 'international community'? Oh, I can guess!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnonyMoose2 ->
Just chiming in here my two cents and all. Obama and Clinton were two of the previous Presidents who agreed Jerusalem should be the capital but never had the gumption to act on it, Trump just put it into practice.

I do wonder what other countries would do if thousands of rioters stormed their borders because there is nothing to indicate that they would be peaceful, it is obvious that if Israel allowed them in many Israelis would be killed. I believe the Arabs are lucky that Israel does not have the same policies as Hamas such as wanting people to killed martyrs, even children.
Agreed, and despite so many lefties over here criticising Trumpy, he has my admiration. I think we'd do well to have him here in place of dithering May.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 05:57 PM

1)East Jerusalem is illegally occupied territory. It's a crime under international law, to make any permanent changes to territory acquired by force.
2)Jerusalem was acquired by force.
3)To declare it as a capital after being acquired by force is a permanent change.
4)Therefore, illegal under international law.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-05-2018, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What 'international community'? Oh, I can guess!
The UN. Many countries expect this to be part of a final settlement with Palestine.

Russia (one of your favourite countries) considers West Jerusalem the capital of Israel and East Jerusalem the capital of the future state of Palestine.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-his...raels-capital/

They are not interested in moving their embassy though. They are waiting for the Israelis to agree to split Jerusalem with a future Palestinian state first :

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/2...ussia-strange/

Were these the countries you were expecting?

Here is what the Chinese media think :

"Trump doesn’t give a damn. With the next presidential election already in mind, he’s going gung ho for Israel to pander to his massive evangelical Christian voter base, a 50 million-strong demographic which actually believes he is fulfilling biblical prophecy and heralding Armageddon."

http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-...lood-his-hands

"China reaffirms its support for East Jerusalem as the capital of a Palestinian state."

https://thediplomat.com/2017/12/what...alem-decision/

Page 25 of 52 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top