Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:50 PM

Re: Euratom

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Nothing wrong with saying what you think, but perhaps you could have said it more politely.

"Poorly educated people...
"The less bright just felt that they wanted to defy the elite that was advising them to vote remain"

I don't consider myself 'poorly educated' or 'less bright' and I voted for Brexit.

I'm sure that there were many 'well educated' and 'very bright' people who also voted in favour of leaving.

Even if that were not the case, are you suggesting that only the most intelligent people in this country should have had a vote on the matter? I wouldn't describe that as a democracy.

You are also suggesting that leaving the EU is not only wrong, but a stupid decision. Why? Any evidence, or just conjecture?

Don't you think it would be better to wait a few years and see whether or not it was a wise move? All that has happened so far would indicate that it was. Neither have any of the many scare stories come to pass yet.
Well at least this time we haven't been called racist and xenophobic
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:52 PM

Philip M posts:

"Poorly educated people were asked to make a binary choice on an extremely complicated issue and they voted for seeing less Polish plumbers"

Ahem, that should be fewer Polish plumbers.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Annia, the Polish Paediatrician who stayed at my house has now given notice and is moving to Germany.

We have two Farm Managers. both Polish, moving to the Netherlands, serious problems locally.

However, the last 18 HGV drivers have come from Lithuania, it us a race to the bottom.

It is time we trained our own.

I have been asked to take in two Portuguese Nurses.

It is a entire nonsense that we do not train our own.

We have plenty of ;lovely kids who would want these jobs, but we charge them to quality.

Julie, has a valid point, we should be training our own.

It is a major failing on our part.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 06:29 PM

I confess to not knowing a great deal about the in’s and out’s of remaining in euratom,so apologies if I get things wrong, but I would assume that Theresa May has been left with very few options other than to leave euratom - with us voting to leave the EU.

We all heard her words…..There is to be no “ partial membership of the European Union - it’s associated memberships….or anything that leaves us half in, half out…..we do not seek to hold on to bits of membership as we leave”.

All I know is that euratom came into being alongside the EEC. I also know it is a separate entity from the EU. But….. and correct me if I am wrong…. Remaining in euratom would also mean remaining partial members of the EU institutions and would also mean the UK having to adhere to huge swathes of our laws being dictated by Brussels and consequently by Luxembourg. The very reasons why we voted to leave!.

I do appreciate that this decision could be harmful to Britain, but feel equally sure Theresa May and her team must have had in-depth discussions over having to leave euratom and the alternative solutions, surely?
All I can fathom is that we cannot have European law holding supremacy over British law, and this must be the case if we remain a member of euratom.

I believe Theresa May will successfully negotiate separate nuclear cooperation agreements and those who seem to believe otherwise should have more faith in her.

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Hi

Not often that I disagree with you Shropshire Girl.

This is an instance where I do.

The object of the exercise was to make life better for your 6 Gorillas and their kids.

It was not to be handing money on a plate to Merkel and Juncker.

This seems to be the path Gove and Johnson are heading down.

They have nothing to lose, the rest of us have.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanks for those responses. Some of what I wrote was deliberately provocative to " rattle the cage "of some. I have said what I felt needed to be said.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Philip M posts:

"Poorly educated people were asked to make a binary choice on an extremely complicated issue and they voted for seeing less Polish plumbers"

Ahem, that should be fewer Polish plumbers.
What was I saying about some doctors?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I have been asked to take in two Portuguese Nurses.

It is a entire nonsense that we do not train our own.

We have plenty of ;lovely kids who would want these jobs, but we charge them to qualify.
I agree.

However, it was only recently that the NHS stopped paying for nurse (and radiographer and other) training. Yes, they now have to fund themselves or get a loan.

Our MPs and, in this case Jeremy Clot, are making stupid mistakes one after the other with regard to the NHS.

His answer to health tourism, for example, is to ask them to sign a paper prior to receiving treatment on which they promise to pay in full, presumably after they have gone home! You really couldn't make it up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-02-2017, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I confess to not knowing a great deal about the in’s and out’s of remaining in euratom,so apologies if I get things wrong, but I would assume that Theresa May has been left with very few options other than to leave euratom - with us voting to leave the EU.
Hear hear.

Above all, we must not remain in a position in which we are subject to any dictatorial decisions from Brussels.

If the EU insists that we leave Euratom when we regain our independence, then that's what we must do.

However, I have a suspicion that they would be shooting themselves in the foot in refusing to benefit from our research expertise. I'm sure that they would soon realise that and be back cap in hand!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-02-2017, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hear hear.

Above all, we must not remain in a position in which we are subject to any dictatorial decisions from Brussels.

If the EU insists that we leave Euratom when we regain our independence, then that's what we must do.

However, I have a suspicion that they would be shooting themselves in the foot in refusing to benefit from our research expertise. I'm sure that they would soon realise that and be back cap in hand!
Hi

For the avoidance of doubt, it is not the EU who are insisting that we leave.

It is a decision made purely by our Brexiteers.

No one else is leaving, Not the USA, Russia or China.

It is pure stupidity on our part.

I voted to leave, I will not change my mind.

I will not however vote to hand Billions to Merkel and Juncker on a plate just to promote the Political ambitions of Gove and Boris.

The object of the exercise as far as I was concerned was to make sure Merkel and Juncker did not get another penny from us.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top