Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Re: Doctors

Originally Posted by Meg ->
If a doctor is incapable of recognising dementia in the first place how will giving them an extra £55 per patient for diagnosing it help
It wont is the short answer - its just another way of bulking up their pay .......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
They get paid a salary and then they get paid extra for doing what their salary is paid for. It doesn't make sense to me. When I was a lecturer I got paid a salary but I didn't get paid extra for going into a classroom and teaching.

Quite. That makes sense to me Alan.

Will it stop at diagnosing Dementia though?
Might it be taken a step further in the future, and they be offered money to diagnose cancer, diabetes, heart disease or any other serious illnesses?
I didn't even think it was a GP who diagnosed Dementia. I know just before my Mum died her GP gave her a mini dementia questionnaire, and when she got quite a low score, he had to refer her on to a 'Memory Clinic' to make a diagnosis, he didn't do it himself. So who would have claimed the £55 then?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Well, this could mean this time next year we'll all be demented!
I worry that people likely to have dementia will get priority for appointments, any little symptom will get "recognized" as dementia and why don't they give that money to the people who are looking for a cure, as an extra incentive, or spend it on care or research!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 05:30 PM

I'm afraid the cynic in me thinks this is more to do with pharmaceutical companies than doctors. Dementia medications are not cheap, and given the increasing elderly population this looks like a way to increase prescriptions. Some politicians (Mr. Hunt, perhaps?) probably have lots of pharmaceutical shares…

As for salaries, GP partners are not paid salaries. Their pay is based on what government targets they meet and partly a fee for service i.e. they get paid each time they do particular things. So this would appear to be just another addition to such things.

And Mups is right, GPs don't diagnose dementia. So heaven knows what the story really means.

The whole scheme is demented!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 05:46 PM

They already get substantial payments via the QOF, (Quality and Outcomes Framework) points system currently standing at £156 per point in England, i believe there are 120 points to be gained and it can double their wages.

Add in the possibility of favoured status to some companies selling drugs and are we really being well served. ?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 05:58 PM

I don't understand this. A doctor himself does not diagnose dementia. A serious of tests and scans diagnose it. Where they get a £55 fee from is a mystery to me. Any excuse for a bit of extra cash - yeah, like they need it!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Well my Mum has Dementia quite badly and the only thing they have given her is a tablet that is suppose to prolong the illness, but my Mum has been on this tablet for one year and it's not done anything to prove things, all its done is make her toilet everywhere.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Well my Mum has Dementia quite badly and the only thing they have given her is a tablet that is suppose to prolong the illness, but my Mum has been on this tablet for one year and it's not done anything to prove things, all its done is make her toilet everywhere.
I agree treatment so far does not help, my gal was given a tablet for depression, she ended up absolutely paranoid, its very worrying and I guess, they just don't have the answer - yet ........

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top