Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 03:28 PM

Re: Moss on roof

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The main problem with moss is on shallow pitched roofs...they clog the drainage chanels on the interlock and can cause water ingress....this runs down the underfelt to barge/fascia boards causing rot which will not show until it's too late.
My roof is pretty steep Tpin as are my neighbours they have nasty tiles.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 03:28 PM

The main problem with moss is on shallow pitched roofs...they clog the drainage chanels on the interlock and can cause water ingress....this runs down the underfelt to barge/fascia boards causing rot which will not show until it's too late.

Definetely from The Roofers Almanac.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->

Definetely from The Roofers Almanac.
Well, being an ex building company boss you learn these things over the years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 03:40 PM

Where's that fender gone, I'd have thought he'd have put his three ha'peth in before now?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Where's that fender gone, I'd have thought he'd have put his three ha'peth in before now?
Cleaning his roof.

You can't expect a thick a**ed heating engineer to know.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2017, 03:47 PM

Cleaning his roof.

You can't expect a thick a**ed heating engineer to know.

HEATING ENGINEER? Where was this man when my boiler conked out this morning!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-04-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
HEATING ENGINEER? Where was this man when my boiler conked out this morning!
Yep, he and Gasman...both very good and very helpful....between them they've spent hours on the phone when mine went.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-04-2017, 04:31 PM

Yep, he and Gasman...both very good and very helpful....between them they've spent hours on the phone when mine went.

I thought someone had kidnapped Gasman, haven't seen him for yonks.
Anyway, it seems to be running alright at the moment, and I'll watch to see if the pressure drops again, or I get water in the plastic bag, if not I can relax again.

Thank you for your help once again. (cheque's in the post).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-04-2017, 04:33 PM

The 'Moss men' are here as I write.
I got a phone call a couple of hours ago saying could they come and do it this afternoon if I wanted.
I wasn't expecting that.
I told him I wouldn't have the money in the house, but the chap with him is my window cleaner (nice bloke), so the moss-man said I could pay to Richard (my window man) when I get a chance.

I don't know this moss-man from Adam, but Richard is alright, he's been coming here for a long time.
The chap on the roof is like a little whippet and up and down easily.
I told them I didn't want any 'coating' put on, just clear the moss and the guttering and that'll do. They said Ok.
They certainly seem to be cracking on with it, so hope I've done the right thing. Fingers crossed.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-04-2017, 04:35 PM

If they have an odd accent...brand new van with orange flashing roof lights....motorway maintenance written on the back, mobile number only and a towing hitch...get rid of them.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top