Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Re: Trump's 'state' visit

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not like my hairdresser would be talking about the Saudis or China the way she is talking about Trump. He is in everyone's face. China and Saudis are not.
I agree Annie, in everyone's face is about right.
Every newspaper, every BBC and ITV News, every online news site...
If the Media had built up anti Saudi feeling day after day after day, same applies to China etc., they would've whipped up far more public antagonism before their state visits, resulting in protest marches, demonstrations etc.
I'm sure of it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 09:54 PM

Sometimes I feel we are just puppets of propaganda is this country.... it's a mystery as to who decides what we should get wound up about and what to bury while we are busy reacting.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sometimes I feel we are just puppets of propaganda is this country.... it's a mystery as to who decides what we should get wound up about and what to bury while we are busy reacting.
That's the way I feel Annie, it's the reason I don't watch or read much news these days, I feel we are being manipulated how to think. The greater part of topics on here are reactions to a few biased Newspapers.
I still like to put in my ten peneth though.....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
He brews a decent pint....I like it with a shot of Tia Maria..a few of those will blow your head off.
UJ brews a decent pint?

Is he declaring the income?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's the way I feel Annie, it's the reason I don't watch or read much news these days, I feel we are being manipulated how to think. The greater part of topics on here are reactions to a few biased Newspapers.
I still like to put in my ten peneth though.....

That's what's great about this forum. It makes you think and to want to look behind the news. I've learned so much in just a few weeks. I've noticed that forums are gradually disappearing from the net and being replaced by insipid social media.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
UJ brews a decent pint?

Is he declaring the income?
Nooooo, the other guy.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Yep,

That's the utter hypocrisy in all this.
Put out the red carpet for China, Saudi etc, but protest and winge about Trump coming here.
China, Saudi Arabia or Zimbabwe are not seen as representing Western values.

The US is. It was founded on "British values" and has demonstrated them over the last 250 years. That is what the special relationship, NATO, the UN, human rights acts and mutual military support to uphold those values is about.
If the UK honours someone who does not uphold those values it is saying it doesn't care anymore. It acknowledges that your greatest ally is respected even though it has jettisoned the same principles. and the UK is deeply implicated as an ally in denying those principles.

However let's be honest...the visit isn't about Donald...it si about trade. Just as every other state visit is about trade or some other political issue.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
China, Saudi Arabia or Zimbabwe are not seen as representing Western values.

The US is. It was founded on "British values" and has demonstrated them over the last 250 years. That is what the special relationship, NATO, the UN, human rights acts and mutual military support to uphold those values is about.
If the UK honours someone who does not uphold those values it is saying it doesn't care anymore. It acknowledges that your greatest ally is respected even though it has jettisoned the same principles. and the UK is deeply implicated as an ally in denying those principles.

However let's be honest...the visit isn't about Donald...it si about trade. Just as every other state visit is about trade or some other political issue.
Are they not 'British Values' to protect ones citizens and help society to flourish?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Are they not 'British Values' to protect ones citizens and help society to flourish?
If not they should be, also uk and USA differ quite a bit they have gone off on one tangent and we've taken another path.

The special relationship I've always thought was tolerating each other's right to be different and respecting that.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Are these the values the UK wants to support in a very public event hosted by the head of state??

A Welsh Muslim schoolteacher was denied entry to the US when in Iceland changing planes even though he was born in the UK and has never had any other passport.

This is insulting to the UK and if the US treats UK citizens like this, on the clear basis of discrimination according to faith, then I suggest the US administration has no business being "honoured" .

and this is after the courts refused to support Trump's ban!!
The Brits should be out there defending their citizens instead of honouring the originator of this hateful persecution.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...on-school-trip

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top